Sean's Waterbox 130.4 Mixed Reef Build

Doesn’t look like I’ll need a booster pump for rodi set up now I just need to pick one. Which one or any other Spectrapures you suggest? Is 180 gallons per day models for small money more worth it to make it faster? I definitely want a spectrapure because I had good luck with my last one.

https://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/MaxCap-Manual-Flush-90-GPD-RO-DI-System

Or

https://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/ROD...PD-RO-DI-System-Manual-Flush-w-Mega-MaxCap-DI

BC34EAED-FD22-4D14-B0A9-707CDCFF6303.jpeg

We got one donated for the BRS auction. It’s a BRS version 5 stage. I am sure it will go for cheap money too. Unfortunately it’s a month and a half away ‍♂️

Otherwise... I have the 90gpd one. Fills my 50 gallon reservoir in about 10-12 hours in the winter. 8 hours in the summer.

Made some more progress. Hoping to finish up tomorrow and start water and operation testing. Any good way to do a final clean of the tanks and piping before use? RODI should be here next week!

AE5AF795-07B6-4CAA-9C72-20125139C996.jpeg
1E69B221-AD28-4CE1-AB5E-E4236DDF024F.jpeg

And I’m done with the first of many projects! Not much of a plumber but no leaks and flow is good through the S1! Found out my water box won’t be shipping until early March so I’ll probably just start getting all the equipment in and work on rock aquascape and electrical prep work while I wait for the tank / stand. I believe I’m going to go with the Marco shelfscape rock package and modify from there.

40705B92-DADA-4117-B6E4-31CB420C483A.jpeg

Bummer on the later shipment. Is it a custom make? Or is weather and temperature a concern for them?

Bummer on the later shipment. Is it a custom make? Or is weather and temperature a concern for them?

Sounds like they are just behind on keeping up with demand especially with the 130.4. It’s been one of their highest sellers. I thought about going bigger because there easier to get but I want to stay around the 100g for my first tank back at it.

And I’m done with the first of many projects! Not much of a plumber but no leaks and flow is good through the S1! Found out my water box won’t be shipping until early March so I’ll probably just start getting all the equipment in and work on rock aquascape and electrical prep work while I wait for the tank / stand. I believe I’m going to go with the Marco shelfscape rock package and modify from there.

View attachment 124530
Check with MarcoRocks on that package unless ordering from somewhere else like BRS, I believe I read someplace the MarcoRocks wasn't selling to the public direct anymore as of January 1. 2019. I may be mistaken though. I ordered through BRS. Good luck.

Yeah wahat paul says is true. I received a email from marcorocks that they would no longer sell to the public.

Thanks guys. I was wondering why they wouldn’t answer the phone or respond to emails... that would make sense. I guess I’ll be going through BRS. Do they do free shipping on rock or going to kill me on it?

Thanks guys. I was wondering why they wouldn’t answer the phone or respond to emails... that would make sense. I guess I’ll be going through BRS. Do they do free shipping on rock or going to kill me on it?
Yes any order over $29. I ordered about 50 lbs a couple weeks ago.

Awesome. Thanks!! Some new equipment came in today. Always loved the build quality of Spectrapure and this definitely lives up to expectations.

EAE0EA80-08AD-4E3B-BACE-E7991F6CEA46.jpeg

Check out reefcleaners.org for rock as well. I got my dry rock there.

Rock order is in and trying to finalize the details on system design so I can put a big equipment order in. The Marco grey cement was out of stock on BRS which is a bummer and I've heard a lot of good things about this product.

My biggest question left is algae reactor or remote refugium (drilled 10g / 10g) tank located behind tank in the mechanical room and how these would be fed with water.

Option A: Remote refugium (10g / 20g) fed off of manifold from return pump which will also have a few future outlets to pick up future reactors. Thinking of flow meters in outlets to help balance / monitor water flow.

Option B: Algae reactor (Arid or Skimz) fed from main return pump manifold same as above.

Option C: Remote refugium or algae reactor / other misc reactors fed off of manifold from independent pump. Obviously the most expensive option and takes away space in the Waterbox sump that is already tight but allows for the most control of water flow to the reactors and independent maintenance shutdowns, etc.

Thoughts?

I thought refugium work best before the skimmer. If that is true I would split the drain into the 10g tank.

I have seen sone people do a canopy style refugium in tight spaces.

The 10g tank sits on/above the sump and drains into the main drain section of the sump.

Drill the bottom and make a 4” drain section on the refugium. If I ever upgrade tanks I wanted to try that out.

I like my refugium. It isn’t as big as it should be (6”x12”x5”). But I feel the grape cuprala and chaeto help.

What do you guys think 10 gallon or 20 gallon long for the remote refugium? I like the fact that the 20 gallon has more flexibility for future uses but I already have a spare 10 gallon. I am planning on drilling the end of the 10g / 20 and installing a tank style overflow box like the Eshopps Eclipse M (800 GPH). Anyone use these before or have a better suggestion?

My spare desk / work bench is pretty much the exact same size as the 130.4 so I taped off actual tank dimensions and set it up for preparation of the rock coming in Wednesday. Can’t wait to do some aquascaping!

9B703F79-1FF6-4B61-8740-050CF93A72F9.jpeg

Patched holes and put two fresh coats of paint on the tank wall because hopefully it won’t be moving for quite a while. More exciting news, Marco rock arrives in perfect condition from BRS! Packaged perfectly and only had 3-4 very small chips break off. I went with 40 lbs shelf (right side), 1 large / 3 small / 4 medium foundation rocks (left side) and 20 lbs standard Marco (middle).

E8634FC8-EB69-4378-AE9C-9D737BC706C2.jpeg

First pass - Option A
83E368DC-62CA-4105-978F-57C8C95A69B7.jpeg

28CEDF91-FA2A-4D9C-A4D9-90FE0BF47404.jpeg

7F820B37-BD2C-4D31-8ECE-26487C307703.jpeg

First pass - Option B
27701ED0-80E3-40C9-A410-2B18B0EBE339.jpeg

BD61EE7C-A231-41E0-A14E-7463AC82583C.jpeg

4ACC82E4-369F-4821-B67D-1655E8342E31.jpeg

Votes on either one and overall thoughts? I will be looking to push into heavy SPS eventually (lots of flow potential) but definitelty wanted some areas for LPS as well. I will probably be going bare bottom as well to avoid detritus build. Tried to match up edges of overflow with caves to be able to push debris out through these caves if possible. The highest areas of rock is about 9” below top of tank.

Tank arrived way earlier than expected at OSA! Originally heard they wouldn't be shipping again until end of February / early March. Hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow!

Tank arrived way earlier than expected at OSA! Originally heard they wouldn't be shipping again until end of February / early March. Hopefully going to pick it up tomorrow!

Nice!! That’s awesome news!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back