Self morphed montipora?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
so this started originally as a grape idaho purple montipora. I recently fragged the colony and relocated a few pieces to a different location and this happens. I think this needs a new name now [emoji2957]
e052a4a827b0f9b74f6cde2baca24765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s not grafting that’s just color morphing which is common for montiporas to pick up other colors if they are close to another coral. I’ve had orange monti cap turn purple from being next to Idaho grape monti and green monti turn brownish red from being next to orange monti. Once you move it away from the other coral the color usually goes back to the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weird, it was in the same location for a year near other corals and it was purple. It is by itself with nothing near it and it changed to multi-colors.

(2) pieces in two different locations of the tank did this

(2) pieces in two different locations of the tank did this

Now that’s strange, 2 different pieces in two different spots and they both turned the same color? Anything odd happen with parameters spikes in alk or anything?

nope tank has been super stable

Like the JF grafted cap, it is not actually grafted by human, It has the green and red pigment genetically expressed.
Under some circumstances, some fluorescent proteins got up regulated and some got down regulated and caused the change of coloration in different parts of the same coral. That gives the appearance of grafted patterns.

Like the JF grafted cap, it is not actually grafted by human, It has the green and red pigment genetically expressed.
Under some circumstances, some fluorescent proteins got up regulated and some got down regulated and caused the change of coloration in different parts of the same coral. That gives the appearance of grafted patterns.

Grafting is taking to different corals fragging a piece of each one and then getting them to grow together, no genetic transfer I believe, correct Dong?

guess I should have called it morphed [emoji16]

Grafting is taking to different corals fragging a piece of each one and then getting them to grow together, no genetic transfer I believe, correct Dong?

That is correct.

Coral can have fluorescent protein infection. FP can be transferred to a new host, the new host can express those FP and gains new coloration.

This has been proven with s gigantea anemones. Taking tentacles from say.. a blue anemone and injecting into a green has resulted in rainbow or entire color change. It’s fascinating.

Another type of “grafting” can happen too.
For example, on one of my pink birdsnest colony, a green birdsnest polyp somehow latch onto a spot (already dead?)on branch, then a green birdsnest seems grow out of the pink one. But they will never merge and share genetic materials.

I think we have all bought two corals and where told they were different, but when put next to each other in our tanks turned out to be the same coral, just different colors under different lighting after a month or so.

that JF cap is genetically just like that. Despite it is called grafted, not actually grafted by a human being.
And there is no grafting actually involved.

this was the same coral before I fragged the colony and relocated it. I had been under the same lighting all along
978f6e8078b6ad53a7f068ffb9ec41f4.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back