Should I dose

absolutecarrot

Non-member
I have been measuring my Alkalinty at the beginning and ending of the week. It starts around 8.3 or 8.4 and by the end of the week it is 7.7. So should I start dosing, mabey Kalkwasser? Thanks for the help

It depends on what corals are in the tank. If there aren’t any LPS or SPS you could just do weekly water changes.

Kalkwasser is inexpensive, easy to dose, and also raises pH. Be careful not to spike your Alk.

Last edited:
It depends on what corals are in the tank. If there aren’t any LPS or SPS you could just do weekly water changes.

Kalkwasser is inexpensive, easy to dose, and also raises pH. Be careful not to spike your Alk.

My tank has lots of lps and very little sps

IMO 0.5 alk swing for 1 week is nothing. You can always do a 10% water change and bring it up to your parameters. If it’s 0.5 dkh each day then that’s when you should consider dosing. That would be 3.5 dkh for 1 week and you can calculated out how much you need of 2 parts to keep it level each day.

IMO 0.5 alk swing for 1 week is nothing. You can always do a 10% water change and bring it up to your parameters. If it’s 0.5 dkh each day then that’s when you should consider dosing. That would be 3.5 dkh for 1 week and you can calculated out how much you need of 2 parts to keep it level each day.

Agreed on this. That being said when you add more corals or they start to get bigger or you change your lighting (longer photoperiod or increase intensity/PAR) your tank will use more alk/calcium as the corals will grow more so you may need to dose in the future based on testing your alk.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back