Show your Apex numbers

I just want to try to do a screen shot, thanks Cpage101 {Mac shift command 4}
Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 7.29.16 PM.png

How does everyone get their orp #s so high I barely hit 298 at best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does everyone get their orp #s so high I barely hit 298 at best?

Might have to do with ph as well, your ph is as high as Jim’s lowest or you feed like i do lol

I do feed
Pretty heavy 8.06 is my low

I know PH goes up ORP goes down then slowly goes back up lol. Is your PH & ORP probe in your sump or Display?

Don’t have either running at the moment lol
I have the jr and they don’t come with ph hookups. Need to get a pm1

Haha! Just picked up a Pm1 for my 2nd PH probe for a Ca reactor

Orp confuses me but I know it has to do with organics in the water but @cilyjr might know more specifics about it

Not really. Just the basics. I don't measure orp because complicated and even the chemists who "play fishtank" have trouble with it. Here's 1 reason why

The oxidizers present in your aquarium may be different from what I've got. Some people are dosing h2o2 these days. I do not, so my h2o2 is likely much lower than those who do. Many people used to add ozone as well that would have a big effect on orp numbers.The organics (antioxidants) are probably even more wildly different.

I know PH goes up ORP goes down then slowly goes back up lol. Is your PH & ORP probe in your sump or Display?

ORP (I don't measure personally) is absolutely tied to ph. Ph is a measure of free H floating around. The oxidizers love hydrogen (I think its an oxidant on its own) so the lower the pH the higher the orp. It's not orp controlling ph or vise versa just a measurement of the stuff effecting both.

Lower orp is an indication of higher organics in the aquaria btw. 200 to 500 is fine.
If one is seeing 250 to 300 it's likely a high nutrient system and if your aquarium looks great, sit back and have a beer and be happy (and maybe continue with the high nutrient approach).

Orp confuses me but I know it has to do with organics in the water but @cilyjr might know more specifics about it

Not really. Just the basics. I don't measure orp because complicated and even the chemists who "play fishtank" have trouble with it. Here's 1 reason why

The oxidizers present in your aquarium may be different from what I've got. Some people are dosing h2o2 these days. I do not, so my h2o2 is likely much lower than those who do. Many people used to add ozone as well that would have a big effect on orp numbers.The organics (antioxidants) are probably even more wildly different.

ORP (I don't measure personally) is absolutely tied to ph. Ph is a measure of free H floating around. The oxidizers love hydrogen (I think its an oxidant on its own) so the lower the pH the higher the orp. It's not orp controlling ph or vise versa just a measurement of the stuff effecting both.

Lower orp is an indication of higher organics in the aquaria btw. 200 to 500 is fine.
If one is seeing 250 to 300 it's likely a high nutrient system and if your aquarium looks great, sit back and have a beer and be happy (and maybe continue with the high nutrient approach).

Cilyjr thanks for the breakdown.
I have done a little research on ORP also which you have stated a lot of what I found. I had also read 250-350 is a sweet spot #? I also have read they when you get in the 450-500 range than your system is pretty sterile if I recall correctly? I definitely agree ORP is one of this things unless you are some kind of mad scientist it is very difficult to grasp! Thanks again!![emoji226][emoji226]

Thanks
Corey

Combined chart last 6 days. Use Red Sea test kits. Ph spikes are when dosed for alk. Getting ready to automate with the pump small doses over the day instead of 7.4 ml daily manually at the same time. Also very interesting how PH is greatly effected when you have many people in the house exhaling Co2 during the winter months Lol.
c1d6d962acb8311318e4dfd16cfbc125.jpg

Dosing pumps are huge asset in keeping numbers stable I'm retired but still often miss daily additives to my basement frag tank, that never happens with my Apex controlled display. By pointing to dosing pumps I don't mean to disparage Calcium reactors if thats your choice.

Jim

Dosing pumps are huge asset in keeping numbers stable I'm retired but still often miss daily additives to my basement frag tank, that never happens with my Apex controlled display. By pointing to dosing pumps I don't mean to disparage Calcium reactors if thats your choice.

Jim

Dosing now. Have Ca reactor but demand is not high enough yet to set it up.

I would argue set it up early. Have a stream of about 70 or 80 milliliters per minute and just keep the pH in the reactor High. It will be very easy to slowly bring the PH down as demand goes up. This is as opposed to trying to set it up later and guess at the demand

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back