Shrimp stuck in overflow!!!

Mr. Slippery

Reads more, Posts less
I got up this morning to find one of my peppermint shrimp in the exterior portion of my overflow. :mad: What do you put over the top of it to prevent this?

I was thinking some of that eggcrate but A) it can probably still fit through the holes, and B) how do I attach it without gluing it on so I can still remove it for cleaning?

Are you sure it wasn't the peppermints shedding and not the actual shrimp?? They go into hiding for a few days until the new shell hardens.

actually i think peppermints might be notorious for this because i had 5 peppermints in my tank. then i stuck on a refugium and sump and now there are 3 peppermints in my fuge. so they went on a nice, long waterslide.

Same thing happened to me! I took a section of acrylic, and cut it into fingers kind of like comb, but with wider slots and fingers. It is deeper than the inlet, and I have it suspended at an angle down in the inlet by some fishing line looped over a suction cup. No more shrimp in the overflow! It's also resistant to clogging, and easy to remove and clean.

Attachments

• grate.jpg
    grate.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 386
I think I get it. Do you have a pic that a little more zoomed out? I may also try the screen over eggcrate idea, and I think I may be able to attach a little acrylic ledge so that the eggcrate can sit in that ledge and can just be lifted out for cleaning.

stupid shrimp

I get it now. Your overflow is a different style so I was a bit confused by the first pic. That is a good idea but I would need it to be like 6" x 3" to cover the whole opening of the inside piece. I think I have some scraps of acrylic so I'll mess around with it in the next couple days. Thanks

Mine is about 7"x1" - the same area as a 3" pipe. I'm sure there are many ways to keep those pesky shrimp out of the overflow!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back