Skimmer advice for a nuvo 8?

TomD

Non-member
Now that I have a flawless looking display tank at home, it opened my eyes to how bad my office work tank looked. It has stocked with 2 clowns and sift corals for the last 3 years.

Today, I switched out the light from the eheim I was using to this and for this tank it is awesome.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...0JghnhDkQK7P9ekUK8eMfwVk8hvtvM1esoaApC18P8HAQ

I had some hair algae so I did about an 80% water change and added some critters that will eat it. Now it's time for a small skimmer......

It's really tough to figure out online what will fit in the back chamber. I don't use that media rack. Here and there I just run phosban in a bag.

Does anybody know what a skimmer that will at least do something that will fit in the back chamber? It doesn't need to be a super star this a low budget work tank but with this new light that's much more powerful I may want to transfer frags as corals grow and add a mini goby. My customers love it!

weekly water changes will be enough i try using a skimmer on my 13.5 and wants worth the effort

I think the nano skimmers don't do much but they're really good at aeration

I bought a Mame skimmer for my Nuvo pico 4, haven't actually gotten it up and running as I am moving between houses and the tank just matured and doesn't look like it needs one anymore, but it does fit in the back chamber and people say they work well. Look into it and plus one on water changes only but with two clowns that might not cut it. Also look into a media rack as it sounds like you aren't running one, I have the one from innovative custom caddy, not perfect but holds floss and other medias well not sure if intank has one for your tank

Last edited:
I don't really think you need a skimmer for that size tank. I have a 20gal jbj and the skimmer actually ended up having negotiate effects on my tank. It was getting too clean and my corals suffered. I now switched it do a mini aquaclear with a sponge and chemipure. Got all my color and growth back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the size of the overflow chamber, I think this DIY air pump driven skimmer might work since it requires a very small footprint. Hope this helps.

Pic of parts of skimmer that are under water:

668f596666e787919586961e8cb14846.jpg

And, whats above the water:

6ac096d446d181d75f72424f1500868f.jpg

Ben

I think the Skimmate would fit, they also sell those basket for you to grow chaeto too.

Well, my owner loves the tank so much he actually paid for a 13.5 gallon tank that has been shipped so new work tank to come! I may use the 8 Nuvo at home for a couple dwarf sea horses.

Back