Skimmer body need gluing

jonros

Non-member
Hi all
The portion of the skimmer where the cup sits on came unglued from the body - hoping I can just glue that back on.

Suggestions please on which one to get? Any special circumstances I need to be aware of?

TIA.
Jon

Weld-on is the necessary glue if it is acrylic on acrylic to bond, if you care about looks. You need to go to acrylic supply store to get weld-on. There is a thread here listing that info. Epoxy plumbing repair putty (like Aquastick for frags and live rock) is available at any home center. If you clean both parts, rough with sandpaper, then clean again to get rid of dust residue, you can fix anything with a wad of that stuff, if you know what you are doing and wet your hands while doing it you can tool it to a reasonable finish. Good luck! If the top is polyethylene plastic of any kind, it may be hard to adhere securely with any glue, including weld-on. If you have to make a fillet of epoxy around the joint to hold it that may be a good, strong, permanent repair.

I used to use something called "white marine tex" as well when I was making skimmers and calcium reactors.

I reached out to the distributor (CoralVue - plug for the cust service, they answered promptly) who recommended Weld On (with a link to Amazon to be clear).
Ordered and will see how it goes! Ty for all the replies.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back