Skimmer for reefer nano

Cheddah93

Well known member
Looking for suggestions for a skimmer for a reefer nano, has a 28g capacity minus a little for rock and sand.

was looking at a reef octopus 110sss but thinking it might be a little too big.

I then stumbled upon the coral box d300+ skimmer which seems it would better suit what I need just curious if anyone has one and what their experience with them is.

Anything else you guys would recommend over those? Looking to purchase hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

I've read a ton of nice things on the Tunze 9000's and if I had the money I'd jump on one of those. I currently have a BH-50 skimmer that is rated for 60 gallons (30 heavy bioload) and my tank is only 25ish gallons but I feed the crap out of it lately and it works well. My only issue is it mounts inside the tank and it's red/orange so it's not aesthetically pleasing like some of the sleeker black nano skimmers like the Tunze 9004...

If you do go for the Tunze 9004 spend the extra money on the DC version it would be well worth the $40-$50 extra bucks...

Nice part about this tank is having a sump which expanded my options a bit, but I’ll take a look at those

If you do go for the Tunze 9004 spend the extra money on the DC version it would be well worth the $40-$50 extra bucks...

My experience with skimmers in nano tanks has not been great, but that is mainly because I don’t use ATOs on small tanks.

My IM20 has a skimmer but it is turned off and has been off for some time. The IM skimmer is not good. I don’t recommend the IM skimmers. However, I feed light in that tank and the last time I tested Nitrates and Phosphates were undetectable.

If you use a skimmer you’ll probably need an ATO as well, but you may not need a skimmer at all. Also, skimmers on AIO tanks are pretty loud. I used to run them on a timer only at night or at work.

Something else to consider is a DIY algae turf scrubber. I ran one on a Biocube and it worked great.

I am running a eshopps nano skimmer on my Waterbox 20 cube. Thing is a beast pulling out tons of nasty skimate

Back