Skimmer question

Chrisnnemo

Non-member
Finally got my boys 40b set up. Skimmer output is about 3/4” to an 1” above water level in sump, makes quite a bit of noise and bubbles. If I submerge the output pipe what will be the result besides it being more quite and less bubbles? Any negative fallout? Or just deal with it and pretend we have a personal waterfall in our apartment.

Some skimmers outputs have a foam diffuser on it. You can try placing it in the filter floss material and seeing if that helps reduce noise when putting it in the water.

Is it a brand new pump? I didn’t use mine for a couple months and it had to “break in” where it was noisy for a week or two. I think my pump is dying though [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can put a T pipe on the end of the output pipe. It will reduce the splashing sound / salt creep, but the open top of the T allows the skimmer to run properly. You'd get a T shaped pipe and have the output pipe heading into the "leg" of the T, with the "top" of the T oriented vertically, so one end is under the water and the other end is open to the air. This is what I did on mine.

Thanks guys... both sound like they’ll work. It’s not the skimmers pump so much it’s the noise from the output, also its creating a splash that’s making a mess underneath the tank. Appreciate it

Back