Skimmer stopped skimming

Docstach

Non-member
I noticed that my skimmer hasn't produced any skimmate since I emptied it last time about a week ago. I can't tell the reason though. It still seems to be pulling in air and water is flowing through it, just not foaming up like it used too. I don't think any surfactant or anything like that got into the tank??? I guess I should probably pull it out and clean it good and see if that helps before I run out a get a new one. :eek:( Hoping to find an easy fix since it is a bit of a pain. Oh Well.

Did you try adjusting it t all? Mine needs fine tuning every now and then and after turning it off to emty the vcup is when that is typically noticeable.

Ha, I'll trade you. My Curve 5 will not stop overflowing. Was pulling perfect tea colored skimmate after its initial break in, then last week it just starts going wonky.

Did you try adjusting it t all? Mine needs fine tuning every now and then and after turning it off to emty the vcup is when that is typically noticeable.

This was my first thought as well. Every time I clean my cup or do a water change I need to fine tune it...

Sometimes I seem to get a bit of water in the air intake tube (usually when I turn it off during maintenance). Usually a couple squirts of air from a turkey baster down the tube clears it and it starts foaming again.

Thanks for the replies. I did try to adjust it some, but probably need to play with it some more. I will try the air trick too. One thing I really liked about my skimmer is that is a recirc fed off of my return pump and has been pretty resilient.

Thanks for the replies. I did try to adjust it some, but probably need to play with it some more. I will try the air trick too. One thing I really liked about my skimmer is that is a recirc fed off of my return pump and has been pretty resilient.

This could actually be your issue. Any fluctuation in sump water level as well as in your case any fluictuation in flow delivered by your return pump will effect water level inside of and performance of your skimmer. I would put it on a dedicated pump.

Thanks everyone. I ended up playing with the air intake and I think it might have been partially clogged. It still seemed like it was pulling air but after messing with it a bit it everything started working. I may try to clean it out good tomorrow to see if it improves even more.

Back