Small tank calcium regimen - please post yours

the main reason is that you can not mix part 1 and part 2 of the b-ionic together directly because it will precipitate. so you would have to have 2 separate containers for each part of b-ionic. plus i think kalk is cheaper in the long run.

Short run, long run, whatever. Kalk is super cheap if you use Pickling Lime. It's the same stuff as Kalk powder that you buy at a fish store (Calcium Hydroxide), but it's about 1/4 of the price. You can find it with Canning Supplies at grocery stores, Wal-mart, some hardware stores (I got it at Rounds Hardware on Main St. in Stoneham).

You'll use about $10 of Kalk per year, so it's much much cheaper than B-ionic, and you can easily put it in a doser to dispense unattended, as opposed to pouring in B-ionic everyday. I think you'd have to be careful with auto-dosing b-ionic in separate containers because they probably wouldn't drip exactly the same, unless you had dosing pumps, so the Ca/Alk might not be balanced.

The main drawback to Kalk is that you can only add as much Saturated kalkwater as you have evaporation. So if you add 1 gallon of top-off water each day, you'll be able to add 1 gallon of saturated Kalkwater each day. If that's enough to keep up with your demands, then you're set. Otherwise you'll have to supplement with a little B-ionic. You'll still save a lot of money over just using straight B-ionic.

Last edited:
Back