Free Solidly Mediocre 3D Printed Parts - Waltham

Skmaiden

BRS Member
Anyone looking for 3D printed parts?

Details:
- I just got a 3D printer a couple weeks back and am looking to improve on my modeling and printing. Currently my print quality is functional but some surfaces are a bit rough - aka NOT as good quality as what you’d find from a vendor.
- Will make parts for around $5 to cover material costs, assuming you receive a functional part.
- No cost if I can’t print or model what you want (anything tricky like threads, large overhangs, precision fitting, are likely beyond my current ability - though may still try)
- Assume a few weeks lead time.

Feel free to reach out if there’s anything you’d like.

Filament is black PETG.

Ideas (which are presumably simple to model and print):
- Most things you can provide STL file for.
- Kessil 160 light shades. Probably other lightshades too though I will probably need a cut sheet, actual unit, or something else to establish proper dimensions and attachment (you measuring it probably won’t be a good initial fit and would probably need to print a few tests to establish correct tolerances/fit)
- Dosing tube holders
- Filter sock holders
- Eggcrate stand legs
- Circular coral viewer (open bottom)
- mushroom box
- rim mount feeder ring
- bristle worm trap
- AIO filter media cups
- etc.

Attachments

• 170B9CAA-558A-40E7-A00E-7DAEA86CA72A.jpeg
    170B9CAA-558A-40E7-A00E-7DAEA86CA72A.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 137
  • A5B79C5A-3E86-4728-B616-5335B2AB9947.jpeg
    A5B79C5A-3E86-4728-B616-5335B2AB9947.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Hi I am interested are you able to create a new part if I give you the dimensions? I've been trying to learn FreeCad but I am weeks away from creating a good STL

Hi I am interested are you able to create a new part if I give you the dimensions? I've been trying to learn FreeCad but I am weeks away from creating a good STL

If you can give me a sketch with dimensions, a cutsheet, or something I can see what I can put together. Any pressure fit type parts are often harder to fabricate as there are tolerances that need to be figured out by trial and error (generally sizing a bit larger than the actual dimension but not too large that it doesn't stay on). Stand alone parts which don't attach to anything (ex. coral viewer) , or have a loose attachment (ex. over tank rim holder) are simpler. I can generally model most cylindrical/ rectangular stuff though I'm still learning curved shapes that bend in multiple planes. I have only been using the modeling software for a couple weeks though have a decent amount of other CAD experience so bit less of a learning curve.

I'd also recommend you look into Fusion360 if you want to learn modelling. It's a free (except for large commercial business) Autodesk software for modelling parts and may give you more functionality than FreeCad - worth looking into.

Last edited:
Here is a rough sketch, it is a light shade. I don't have the dimension as I am at work right now but can get later. I will look into Fusion 360 thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• 20220919_105232.jpg
    20220919_105232.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 99
Here is a rough sketch, it is a light shade. I don't have the dimension as I am at work right now but can get later. I will look into Fusion 360 thanks for the suggestion.
Is this AI prime? Or what is the fixture? I've seen some STL models online for AI prime and similar that would work as a good starting point.

If not, if you can provide some dimensions, that looks like it wouldn't be too bad to model and print.

The light is actually not a very common one. It is the Hipergero Aqua knight A029 I have checked all of the websites like Thingieverse for the STL file to no avail.

The light is actually not a very common one. It is the Hipergero Aqua knight A029 I have checked all of the websites like Thingieverse for the STL file to no avail.
Ahh that's fine. Should be easy to model with some dims. As long as it's not too big, my print tray is only 12" or so so if any bigger, may need 2 piece

So the dimensions turned out to be metric and they are 220mm x 110mm and I think the Z (height) needs to be 60mm.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back