some pics of my AC70 fuge mod

molsen187

Non-member
i am going to be setting up a 4g finnex in the next couple of weeks so i decided to make a fuge out of an AC70 filter. i tried to get pics of the whole process but i didn't. i got the instructions from a thread on another forum. it was very helpful and easay to follow.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,805
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,736
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,758
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,910
and one more pic. this mod was super easy to do. i'm the least diy person on the planet and i was able to do this in maybe 30 min.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,718
Looks good! What are you going to be using it for? Chaeto? I did a similar mod but left the chamber to the right a little larger for chaeto. Also there is a surface skimmer mod that you can do with pvc so it only draws water from the surface. This is what I did on my 7 gal:
DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

very nice and clean. what did you use that saw for though?

Cheetos - I have never seen that I gotta try that out when I setup my nano again. (does it work well?)

hah i used the saw to shorten the intake tube on the filter. it's too long to fit in most pics. i couldn't find a smaller one so i had to use that big one. a hand saw would of worked way better. i haven't actually got to set mine up yet but from everyone that i have talked to they love it.

i'm going to be putting chateo, my heater, and some purigen/chemi-pure in there. i'm just waiting for my 4g finnex to get here. should be in a week or so. i'm hoping the AC70 will provide enough flow for the 4g. i don't want to have anything inside the tank if i can help it. i just found a 12" 36w coralife light for it too.

haha thats what i was thinking as i had to cut mine down as well...except i didnt have any saws so i just used a knife and a lot of time/energy :)

How does the PVC surface mod stay attached to the intake tube? Very interesting. I may try to rig my AC50 with one as I am trying to make the 29g anemone safe. At the moment it is a death trap with the powerheads and intakes.

what is the advantage of adding that pvc mod? i'm not sure what the advantage of just having it skim from the top of the water is.

cheetos thats a sharp looking setup.
Thanks!
very nice

that pvc surface mod is a great idea!
I came up with it after seeing something similar over at nanoreef!

How does the PVC surface mod stay attached to the intake tube? Very interesting. I may try to rig my AC50 with one as I am trying to make the 29g anemone safe. At the moment it is a death trap with the powerheads and intakes.
The pvc has to go to the bottom of the tank and the bottom has to be capped off. I cut the top to a little below water level and notched it. The intake tube goes down inside the pvc about 3-4" and pretty much holds it in place.

what is the advantage of adding that pvc mod? i'm not sure what the advantage of just having it skim from the top of the water is.
Without a protein skimmer, proteins build up on the water surface and cause a film. This skimmer mod removes that film!

Do you have any other angles of the PVC surface overflow mod? I'm not getting it. TIA
You might find some other pics of it in my build thread.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227823

cheetos do you have a link to an actual build thread on that pvc. i've read your thread on nano reefs before but don't remember there being a detailed part on how you did the pvc. i'm not very diy so i need step by step directions to get things done haha. if you don't have a link maybe you could pm me rough idea of how you did it. thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back