Sources for DIY supplies

NateHanson

Non-member
I thought I might as well make myself useful here and list some local and online sources for good DIY supplies. Please post other recommendations here and I'll consolidate them all in this first post for future reference.

J. Freeman, Inc. Acrylic sheet, scraps, glue and various acrylic-working supplies
65 Tenean Street
Dorchester, MA 02122
(617) 282-1150
or (800) 841-9442
www.jfreeman.com

Altec Plastics Inc acrylic stock, scraps, glue and applicators, etc
116 B St Boston,MA 02127
617-269-1400

Tap Plastics Acrylic supplies online, will cut acrylic to size for you
www.tapplastics.com

Rockler Woodworking cabinetry hardware, router bits, finishing supplies, etc
2154 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02140
(617) 497-1136
373 South Broadway, Salem, NH 03079
(603) 898-5941
www.rockler.com

Woodworker's Supply lots more stuff than rockler carries, and some of it higher quality (but only online)
www.woodworker.com

Woodcraft high quality hardware, hand tools, and finishing supplies, local and online
313 Montvale Ave, Woburn, 01801 - (781) 935-6414
www.woodcraft.com

CabinetDoorsandHardware Very inexpensive cabinet doors in all sizes. Wide variety. Looks like good quality. See pics in this thread.
www.cabinetdoorsandhardware.com/

F.W. Webb Plumbing Supply commercial plumbing supply warehouses
Locations all over the area
www.fwwebb.com

Savko All manner of tank plumbing supplies - true unions, bulkheads, John Guest fittings, etc etc
www.savko.com

US Plastic Acrylic stock, eggcrate, various bottles and tubs, PVC plumbing parts - basically all things plastic
www.usplastic.com

McMaster-Carr Industrial Supply catalog - everything from acrylic stock, electrical components, and plumbing components, to big rubber gloves
www.mcmaster.com

Grainger Industrial Supply Warehouses and online (sometimes they'll sell retail - sometimes they won't)
www.Grainger.com

Boulter Plywood Wide selection of top-quality plywood, and a fair amount of hardwood lumber as well
24 Broadway
Somerville, MA 02145 (617) 666-1340*
www.boulterplywood.com

Aquatic ecosystems Flexible pvc,Venturis, Beckett, Plastic Needle Valve, 1/4"
www.aquaticeco.com

E-Conolight.com cheap ballasts and electrical supplies
www.e-conolight.com

Last edited:
There is a store right off of 290 going into worcester.

I went in and a guy asked me right off if I was building a sump, seemed to know the concepts and was into helping. I had to ask what he was talking about twice since I couldn't believe he spotted me as a reefer that quickly.

I didn't see the brands I saw at altec, but they had similar stuff, no Acrylite that I saw. They only had extruded tubing but it only cost $24 for 6 feet of 4" clear tube, gotta be good for something though I don't know for what yet.

Someone must know the name and address for this place as I found it posted on a thread (DIY) but couldn't find it agian.

Also - Altec, I've gone in twice, the people have been very helpful and they have some very useful leftovers laying around for fair prices. They also carry weldon, applicators, and misc sizes of tube, maybe even cast acrylic tube once and a while.

You already have it, but McMaster-Carr has got everything! Not always the cheapest, but if you can't find it, spend some time there and you will. Regular shipping is also fast as they are in NJ.

Be careful with USPlastic.. their website seems to be having issues.. double check your cart when you add stuff!!! Took me 3-4 tries to ge tthe right things, and my order still got messed up.

a vote for J. Freeman, Inc.

they have prices lower than wholesalers on the cast acrylic sheets!! $7.63 per square foot! That's really low.

electrical supply store

Does anybody know of a cheap elec. supply store or online. I want to convert my 120 fish into a reef, right know i'm running 4 96w pc and i'm thinking of installing mh's I don't mind spending the money but some places out there I just could'nt afford. thanks vin

Wow rich! $43 for a magnetic MH ballast. :) Any trick to this? Is Metal Halide Metal Halide, or are there differences in compatibility?

any places that do acrylic near Franklin, MA within a short distance? ay help is great
Thanks
Duds

Duds - have you tried Franklin glass? I've bought plexi sheets from them to cover tanks, I'm not sure if they do acrylic, but it's worth a call.

FW Webb in Lowell, plumbing supplies, off Steadman St, Lowell. Ask for Dave he knows his stuff and can always assist in getting parts for project you're working on.

Tempered Glass

dedfish said:
Contract Glass in Wilmington (800-649-9957) is a tempered glass manufacturer. Most of the other glass shops get their tempered glass from Contact.

Good find Jason!

Last edited:
Opps...That's supposed to be Contract Glass. Another person actually posted about this place in a thread I found here and then I saw them again in the phone book.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back