Sps genetics

Sparky88

Non-member
Hey @dz6t. Lot of ppl talk about your sps compared to larger named vendors. Pardone the sps ignorance but are these named pieces of a different kind of sps or is it more like they just found a realy nice example? I no you talked to me about appleberry monti. Is beach bum, alter ego and other jf montis just a nice example with extra color or are these a different monti. Is say home wrecker, or Walt Disney just the "pic of the litter or a different "dog" altogether? Is it a my yellow lab is brighter/ more valuble thing or is it more black labs are cheaper than yellow?

Lets put it this way, you can come over looking at them under normal lighting in person. I can’t photoshop the coral in front of you nor I want to lit the tanks with blue led only.

It actually damage your eyes if stare at coral under blue light for extended period of time.

Several pieces of well known acro from well known people are really colorful and bright without photoshop nose jobs.

Jason fox home wreckers and Walt Disney are beautiful acro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the only acros I no. Lol more of a general question about what makes named acros "better" I can't get by your awsome torch tank to realy look at your sps lol

I use their names to keep track of them.

The major reasons named coral frags are expensive online from reputable vendors (eBay and Facebook flippers do not count) are not the names themselves.
Here is a typical breakdown of the cost:

Lets say a $180 1 inch named coral frag and have to assume the worse case scenario that a customer buy just one frag with free shipping.

1) Since it is most likely qualify for free shipping and most of the vendors are out west coast, shipping cost is about $80 unless you are as big as Petco. (No, reputable vendors do not ship $45 USPS overnight express)

2) Taking good photo and post it, it costs about $20 of labor per frag, seriously those good photo are not easy to take. It averages about 15 minutes of time per coral taken and edited by professionals.

3) Other marketing will cost about another $15 or more.

4) Now $115 is taken out of the $180. Then comes the most frown upon parts by vendors, the mandatory warranty by selling coral online.
Due to the sensitive natural of live coral especially acropora, average about 20% of DOA in shipping, 10% dead due to hobbyists, 30% or more fraudulent claims, (fraudulent claims are much much higher for expansive corals) that eat away 60% of remaining cost. That is $26 left. The frags will cost about $25 and basically break even at the worst scenario.

If a business do not price their coral based on the worst scenario, it will go out of business or got sold to another owner, which we see this happens frequently.

Last edited:
what makes named acros "better" I can't get by your awsome torch tank to realy look at your sps lol

Most acros has name these days, many have multiple names from different vendors.
Some vendors actually rename old school acro and photoshop them then charge a higher price.

There is really no rare acro in terms of genetics (species) in the hobby or they were not allowed to be imported.

The “rare” is in coloration, not species.

No problem, glad to share.

What I said above is for Sps, LPS is some what different.

Due to the natural distribution of LPS is more geographically dependent, some lps become more desirable (or rare) due to the natural habitats become off limit to collection.

Most higher priced SPS are aquacultured because in general SPS grows much faster than LPS to make aquaculture economically feasible and sustainable.

On the other hand, more than 90% of LPS on the market are wild caught, which make them heavily depending on imports. We have indo, Fiji closed down, that creates a big impact on availability of certain LPS, such as torch coral.

I'm an lps fan all the way. I think the flow of tenticles and what not tend to attract me to the euphilia alot. Me and my gramps use to go mushroom picking so I'm partial to them as well. Those red shrooms you sold me is a favorite of almost everyone that sees my tank.

No problem, glad to share.

What I said above is for Sps, LPS is some what different.

Due to the natural distribution of LPS is more geographically dependent, some lps become more desirable (or rare) due to the natural habitats become off limit to collection.

Most higher priced SPS are aquacultured because in general SPS grows much faster than LPS to make aquaculture economically feasible and sustainable.

On the other hand, more than 90% of LPS on the market are wild caught, which make them heavily depending on imports. We have indo, Fiji closed down, that creates a big impact on availability of certain LPS, such as torch coral.

well put @dz6t. At the end of the day, call it what you want it is still just an acro [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didnt no until I started reading scientific paper on it but "lps" "sps" is a hobby turm and not a scientific classification.

dong could answer that better than I [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back