SPS in low lighting?

mrcote1

Non-member
I've just about finished building my setup for a new reef tank. And I will be vigorously quarantining everything this time around since bryopsis is what got me out the last time and ich before that. So i have a 20 gallon aquarium for fish quarantine and have a 6 gallon fluval edge i was going to use to quarantine all corals and inverts. I bought the 12 watt fluval edge light as an upgrade from the 6 watt. Will the 12 watt fluval edge LED keep sps (and lps/anemones) alive for 4 to 6 weeks until they can go into my DT? Also will they be severely bleached going from the quarantine to the DT where I have 2 of the new X1 genesis lights by reef radiance over a 75 gallon?
Thanks!

This is really just my opinion-

If your looking to just keep the sps alive the answer - maybe
If your looking to keep them happy - no

I also think it will be tough to make any corals happy in a six gallon tank for weeks at a time. You really want to match the flow/ lighting / water quality of the display the best you can so they can transfer smoothly.

If I read correctly the genesis fixture is about 150w? The corals will not transfer well from 12w to 150w instantly.

I don't think there are too many people that actually quarantine their corals. If you dip them properly and examine closely for any nuisance algae you should be ok. I put all new corals in my frag tank for a bit to see if any algae pops up on them so I can easily pull them out and clean it off.

Ive got lugols and revive for dips that I plan to use as well. But im just terrified of introducing unwanted algae or pests to the system and dont have the money to set up another tank right now. So ich probably isnt too much of a concern bringing in on corals?

6 gallon will not be very stable and you may end up loosing sps during QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got lugols and revive for dips that I plan to use as well. But im just terrified of introducing unwanted algae or pests to the system and dont have the money to set up another tank right now. So ich probably isnt too much of a concern bringing in on corals?

I wouldn’t worry about ich from corals. Look into Bayer for dipping. You can also cut the base off and examine closely.

Also always buy from a reputable source or someone’s tank you know and have seen.

Check out what Battlecorals uses for dip. Polyp lab primer and Bayer mix. Keep in mind Bayer is not meant as a dip but it does work

Ive just done some research on the bayer and wow, that seems a little scary with expensive corals. I wonder who thought of doing that the first time! It seems that a lot of new discoveries in this hobby comes from just normal people experimenting in their home! But thanks for enlighrening me to bayer. Ill probably use bayer, as well as lugols, revive and peroxide dips, remkve frag from old plug and a one week to 2 week max observation period in fluval. I will build a stand in it so the coral is directly under and close to the light and add a lot of flow to try and mimic the DT

I will not use Revive and peroxide dip. Revive is basically useless against some of the most hated pests on SPS. Peroxide as a dip will kill your coral.
I strongly suggest using a tank that is greater than 20gallon if you want to QT your coral.

QT tank should be as stable as main display. All the conditions should closely match display tank. Otherwise a QT tank is more like a coral death camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back