SPS PEOPLE

Slightly off topic - there used to be someone who posted daily pics of his SPS collection, and boasted that his only maintenance was water changes with Petco pre-mixed water. What ever happen to that guy? His tank was pretty impressive.

There were 2 guys. One was myself. The other left the club.

Search Petco water and nemodan.

I stop using it due to the inconvenience of getting it from Petco and the weight of each box.

Cheers
Daniel

He moved to NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they were $8 per 5 gallon when on sale back then. No sure they still exist.

There’s some good proof that reef crystals works great!

I’ve used reef crystals before with no issues also just changed because I didn’t like the high alk the reef crystals has. Seemed like When I did a larger water change it would change alk to much.

I have read this many times, but I do 25 G every weekend on a total of 100 G tanks volume (without rocks) and never have a Alk swing. For sure it is more than a 25% change because my DT is 60% cover with rocks and SPS.

Just to think about.

Cheers

There’s some good proof that reef crystals works great!

I’ve used reef crystals before with no issues also just changed because I didn’t like the high alk the reef crystals has. Seemed like When I did a larger water change it would change alk to much.

I have read this many times, but I do 25 G every weekend on a total of 100 G tanks volume (without rocks) and never have a Alk swing. For sure it is more than a 25% change because my DT is 60% cover with rocks and SPS.

Just to think about.

Cheers

So what do you keep your alk at? And have you actually tested alk before and after water change?

So what do you keep your alk at? And have you actually tested alk before and after water change?

Keep it at 10.0 after a water change it is 9.5 but a few hours later it is 10.0 with my Hanna checker . Ca is 420 mg 1380

Keep it at 10.0 after a water change it is 9.5 but a few hours later it is 10.0 with my Hanna checker . Ca is 420 mg 1380

I was asking nemodan lol, I keep my alk around 9 so if I was to change 25% of my water with new saltwater that is 11-13 it’s to big of I swing for me, I’ve tested before and after this was yrs ago I haven’t used Reef crystals in a long time.

I was asking nemodan lol, I keep my alk around 9 so if I was to change 25% of my water with new saltwater that is 11-13 it’s to big of I swing for me, I’ve tested before and after this was yrs ago I haven’t used Reef crystals in a long time.

I try to keep my tank at 6-7 dkh. In average around 6.5.

I did measure.....LONG TIME AGO... the freshly Reef Crystal salt. I can't remember reading the value people reports.

What I just did, right now, is an Alk test of my New "1 week aged" Reef Crystal water. The value was : 6.5 -6.7 Dkh ( tested twice).

Tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday I will use this water for a Water change and will prepare a new batch of 25 G. I will let it 24 hours to be sure is well dissolved and will test Alk.

FYI.. I do the water in the brute and stays there for 7-10 days waiting my next Water change. The brute has 2 circulating pumps, heater and air pump. And, by the way, I always have a left over in the brute of around 5+ G (brute is 32G).

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

I try to keep my tank at 6-7 dkh. In average around 6.5.

I did measure.....LONG TIME AGO... the freshly Reef Crystal salt. I can't remember reading the value people reports.

What I just did, right now, is an Alk test of my New "1 week aged" Reef Crystal water. The value was : 6.5 -6.7 Dkh ( tested twice).

Tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday I will use this water for a Water change and will prepare a new batch of 25 G. I will let it 24 hours to be sure is well dissolved and will test Alk.

FYI.. I do the water in the brute and stays there for 7-10 days waiting my next Water change. The brute has 2 circulating pumps, heater and air pump. And, by the way, I always have a left over in the brute of around 5+ G (brute is 32G).

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Daniel

Ok so that makes more sense now to me that it’s been sitting for a week for the alk to drop, when I used it yrs ago I was mixing up and using within 24hrs. Now I do the same as you and mix up 40-50 gal at a time and use over a week or two.

I always measure my Alk between 9:30 -10 PM. Tank lights are off at 9 PM. I just measured it and it is 6.4 dkh. Thst is my sweet point for alk.

Tomorrow I will do the water change with my 1 week aged water.

Will get back as soon as I measure the freshly done water. Could be tomorrow night after all day mixing.

Best

I always measure my Alk between 9:30 -10 PM. Tank lights are off at 9 PM. I just measured it and it is 6.4 dkh. Thst is my sweet point for alk.

Tomorrow I will do the water change with my 1 week aged water.

Will get back as soon as I measure the freshly done water. Could be tomorrow night after all day mixing.

Best

Oh that’s not necessary to test now lol. What benefits do you see keeping your alk below 7dkh?

Ok so that makes more sense now to me that it’s been sitting for a week for the alk to drop, when I used it yrs ago I was mixing up and using within 24hrs. Now I do the same as you and mix up 40-50 gal at a time and use over
Oh that’s not necessary to test now lol. What benefits do you see keeping your alk below 7dkh?

There was a time that my tank went below 7dkh. Unintentionally. SPS were doing great but the tank was below 7. I tried very slowly to get it up. But still was below 7. Corals were growing. I was increasing the dosing with the aim of taking dkh over 7 but the corals were using the bicarbonate faster. After some months I gave up.

Now I just try to keep it below 7. If it goes over 7, like some weeks ago went over 8 , I start to see issues. A couple of small branches started to RTN in my Strawberry Short Cake. It took me almost a month to get it down again below 7. I do it slowly.

First sign of normality.... the SSC only lost those branches. RTN stopped. All other SPS were fine.

I also see a change in color and a slow down in growing.

Is all subjective. But I see that things start to go bad if I hit 8 dkh.

On top of that, as I posted above, the water in my brute is ~6.5 dkh after a week.

Last edited:
Back