stand for a 265g -looking for design comments

Dominic

Non-member
I am getting close to the install of my new 265g. I had to get the floor reinforced and that is done. Despite the size I am jumping from a small marine tank 30 years ago to this one now. I will probably make mistakes, but I learned enough to learn that going as big as possible is good. So, there we are...

Now I am looking at the stand. I wanted to have no supporting verticals in the middle. To accomplish this I am getting a top platform welded out of 2" U-channel for the front edge and 2" angle iron for the rest with some 2" angle bracing across front to back. This should give me nearly zero deflection under load. I plan to protect the steel with poly.

The question is how to design the legs. What size, what spacing along the back? What wood? I will wrap the main load bearing elements with 1/2 cabinet plywood, likely cherry, and oil finish. I will likely mount doors with magnets but have them rest on a mounting lip. I am a decent woodworker with a good shop so I can tackle most things.

By way of reference, the tank is 7'x2'x30". There are two pre-drilled 1-3/4" holes in the back corners. The sump will be an Eshopps 300 and Supreme magdrive 2400 pump.

I'l like to make the system as sound tight as possible while also providing ventilation. Should I install a circulating fan somewhere?

I am a newbie in this group, but I hope to make the next meeting to hear about fluorescence! I am actually a chemist by training so this is all most interesting to me.

Dominic

sounds like you are on your way , why did you go with angle and U channel instead of tube stock ? the angle makes it a bit tricky to get a solid stand under it in my opinion . but if the botton edges are made flat with no bumps it should work . all you need are a few upright 2x4s as legs . doubled up . so basicly a few 4x4's I have my 210's sitting on 2x4's

I have designed/built a few tanks one 220 and a few smaller ones. If you want some help in the design/ build pm me. I have been a cabinet builder and carpenter for the past 15 years and have lots of experience in the design and building. Let me know!

If you know ny structural ingeneer or architect they can run the numbers for you and let you know what will support that weight with no deflection.

Thanks everyone.

As to the angle/channel, this was what the shop recommended when considering the load, deflection and the lack of front supports. He didn't think it was needed in the back and could save some money there. I suppose channel might be simpler all around the rim but otherwise I just have to make the legs to fit and support evenly. I will likely go with 4x4s at the corners at least. In between I probably don't need anything more than 2x4s.

If anyone has comments on the ventilation / noise question I'd love to hear those as well.

I have designed/built a few tanks one 220 and a few smaller ones. If you want some help in the design/ build pm me. I have been a cabinet builder and carpenter for the past 15 years and have lots of experience in the design and building. Let me know!

Life too a bit of a turn around when I posted last. The company I worked at was bought and all of research let go. I put this project on hold at the time because we had many other commitments. I'm back in a full time position now and I would like to get this going again.

A very belated thank you for the offer. I'll gladly take you up on it as I always welcome new ideas and experience. I have a fair bit of experience as a woodworker but I have never build this and I expect that there are many gotchas. I have some design ideas and the base is going to work out I think. I have other questions about the hood.

The tank is going to sit in the corner of a tall family room. I want to minimize the humidity blowing off the system and also manage heat from lights etc. in the hood. This will primarily be a reef tank. At this point I am planning on LEDs, they seem to keep improving although I recognize that this seems to be a bit of a loaded topic as well, many opinions. I want to also manage ease of access to the tank from above. Perhaps a hood in two parts? One that swings up? The top of the tank will be about 5' off the ground, perhaps a little more, and some kind of step will be needed.

With that in mind I was considering running the base and hood right back to the wall and creating a builtin look. The right side of the tank will be against the end wall of the family room and will stand about 18-24" from that wall. I have a request to build a storage closet into that space for dining room table leaves.

All help eagerly received. I will start hunting on the forums for discussions around these topics but any pointers to get me a head start would also be welcome.

Dominic

sounds like you are on your way , why did you go with angle and U channel instead of tube stock ? the angle makes it a bit tricky to get a solid stand under it in my opinion . but if the botton edges are made flat with no bumps it should work . all you need are a few upright 2x4s as legs . doubled up . so basicly a few 4x4's I have my 210's sitting on 2x4's

I have glued up quarter sawn white oak to make 4x4 legs (it was cheap and available). I am planning to inset panels into those legs and add some horizontal stabilizers about a food down from the steel support frame. That should give plenty of room to move larger items in and out as needed.
I don't yet have a picture of what sort of tiers of shelving, if any, would be useful in the base. I do want to plan on having plenty of electronics and control systems in there eventually. Perhaps this needs a moisture isolated section?

Dominic

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back