Star polyps not opening

Zirky

Non-member
Any ideas what's going on here? My star polyps aren't opening and there seems to be a white fungus growing on them and the rock there next to
IMG_0476.JPG

White stuff looks like a sponge that it grew around. The mat still looks like it is a good purple color. I would be worried if the color fades, then it is starving. Have you tried moving it to a different flow or lighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet, l just noticed it yesterday. The sponges have been on the cats paw but I thought they were bleached coral. Aren't sponges good?

Take the colony out of the water, if its a sponge the air would kill the sponge.
Also try to take a turkey baster full of water and spray the colony outside of the tank.
If it looks like white mucus or crumbles away like epoxy or if it smells absolutely terrible it could be something similar to what I experienced.
In my old 75G I had a star polyp colony die off to white bacterial infection.
If it is an infection you could try to frag a healthy section and use a coral dip.

Y3H0qb4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanx based on that I think I'll pull that hole end of the tank and reskape, not worth the risk. That old dead coral has always trapped detitus anyway

I had my gsp colony lose all its green, star polyps turn brown, and then not open up at all. This is the first coral i ever bought in sep 2017 and today it is closed up still but looks alive... Just not open up. Idk what is going on. I did have a ph crash that killed more than half my coral. Im guessing that was what caused it to lose its zoxenthelle and close up?.. Still learning. P. S. Dont mind my spelling lol
In the pic the colony is on the top right .idk if we can see it

Attachments

• IMG_20180210_005945.jpg
    IMG_20180210_005945.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 172
Sorry to hear about ph swing, do you know what caused it? I pulled all but 1 branch I plan on putting a clam in its place. The white stuff I think was a sponge, and not a fungus. The one branch is doing great now.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back