Stocking list - RSR350

Intheflesh

Non-member
Right now I have a very sparsely populated tank. Or a blank canvas if you want to be optimistic lol. It is a red sea reefer 350 (roughly 75 gallons). I have a 4 striped damsel, Yellow tang, pink spotted goby, and some sort of chromis (not the typical blue/green variety). I did have a pair of Davinci clowns, file fish pair, and flame angel, but they all jumped :( Now I have a net, so hopefully that prevents any future instances.

Here's a list of fish I have my eye on:

• Clown pair (either true percs, picasso percs or misbar ocellaris)
  • royal gamma
  • zebra dart fish
  • valentini puffer (i know these are considered not reef safe, but I've had one in every tank so far)
  • flame dwarf angel
  • Trio of captive bread cardinals
  • Kole tang (call the tang police)
  • some wrasse: 6 line, mcCosker's or mystery
  • Trio of anthias (probably bartletts)
  • Pistol shrimp friend for my goby
I know If I added all of this my tank would be over crowded. Whihs ones would you leave off the list? Any species that won't jive together?

I suspect you'll have a war if you intro another tang with your established yellow in a 75g tank.

The pistol shrimp can be added with no consideration to any other fish stocking.

Have you spent time watching cardinals? They are nocturnal and not too active - they just kinda float around. Lots of people like them, obviously, but to me they are not the most engaging of fish. Also some cardinals (banggai) I believe do better in a pair rather than a trio.

I don’t think the yellow would harass the kole tang anymore then any other fish you add. If it was another similar shaped tang I wouldn’t. I agree cardinals aren’t the liveliest of fish but neat to watch. 6line will most likely become a bully at some point lol but a wrasse is definitely a cool active fish.

One thing worth considering is the appetite for shrimp that Mystery Wrasses have. I've had two mystery wrasses and they've made meals out of the all of my shrimp (Fire, Cleaner, Sexy, peppermint, pistol, even my emerald crabs) over the years. My two cents if you haven't decided on wrasse just yet.

Great points all around. Regarding the cardinals... they are for the misses. They are one of her favorite fish. I'm a fan of the threadfin cardinals, she likes the Banggai. so Banggai it is lol.

For the wrasse I am still on the fence. I have had good luck with 6 lines not harassing tank mates. But they have all jumped. (now I have a screen). Good to know about the mystery wrasse and its taste for shrimp. What about the McCosker's? I have only had experience with 6 lines and a checkerboard wrasse. Somehow the checkerboard wrasse was a model citizen. I bought him for my 125 mixed reef, early in my hobby carrer.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back