Storage of NSW???

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Anyone know how long NSW can be stored in a bucket with a powerhead?

I think it is ok, after it has bloomed and died, indefinitely. You can use it right away with the creatures in it if adding to an established aquarium or observe it for blooms if the plankton die and create any bacterial bloom that dissipates, sometimes this process leaves settled particles in the container. I have never measured ammonia nitrite or nitrate in older seawater that I have collected after weeks passed.

any suggestions on the best place to collect NSW 10 miles from boston ma?

I like collecting on dry spells (no rain for days at a time) at little-used boat ramps on an incoming tide above 1/2 tide (3 hours into the flood tide). It helps your chance of getting the cleanest non-diluted water. Ramps or beaches on the ocean, not in harbors or marshes are better. Nahant Town dock ramp is quiet, and on the ocean. Can back right down and fill, just beware it drops off a few feet at the end on low tide, so once you fall off, you are OFF!!! It is algae covered at low tide too, slippery! Town sticker only needed if parking, go at night and be silent, turn off headlamps while loading and the neighbors won’t call PD on you. Nahanters are known for harassing outsiders. I grew up nearby and went to college in Nahant, but have not been in years. Great spot to collect NSW though. Cool fish show around the pier at night too! Bonus of collecting here at night is the ton of amphipods and other zooplankton attracted to the dock lights. If you wanted some as feed/herbivores to add to your tank this was a go to spot. You could just scoop them with a regular aquarium net at times.

Thanks for the input I'll be grabbing some fresh water about a mile off of Cranes Beach on the incoming tide this Saturday as I'll be working on a boat and wasn't sure how much to grab. A few weeks ago I grabbed about 20-30 ounces and the water was crystal clear and full of tons of live plankton and other pods.

Figure I'll try and grab 10-15 gallons in 3-4 buckets and store some in my basement with a powerhead going maybe even keep a separate one going to see how long it takes before it starts to smell lol...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back