Strange e-mail from PayPal . . .

Palyanna

Nano Princess
I received an e-mail today from PayPal which says: "You have successfully cancelled your subscription to Family BRS Membership Subscription You will not be billed for this subscription again." The thing is, I didn't cancel anything. What's up with that?

I just checked your account, everything looks ok... i would have a look at your PP and see if there is some kind of reminder history listed, to see if it was real..

just make sure you dont log into paypal from a link on that e-mail, just in case.

Absolutely. I used to get a bunch of scam emails from paypal and ebay impersonators on my old email. Some of them look pretty convincing too, they want your personal info so they can steal from you. :eek::(

It is a cancellation notice of auto renewing membership. Although I am not sure why you recieved another one 4 months later, I can see it on our end.

The imposter's are phishing. Forward it off to this email spoof to Paypal and they will track down the culprits. [email protected] I send them all the crap that crooks try to scam out of me and paypal appreciates it.

Last edited:
dont click on any links from the email :(
and dont reply to any email addressed paypal inc its a scam

just make sure you dont log into paypal from a link on that e-mail, just in case.

Absolutely. I used to get a bunch of scam emails from paypal and ebay impersonators on my old email. Some of them look pretty convincing too, they want your personal info so they can steal from you. :eek::(

The imposter's are phishing. Forward it off to this email spoof to Paypal and they will track down the culprits. [email protected] I send them all the crap that crooks try to scam out of me and paypal appreciates it.

dont click on any links from the email :(
and dont reply to any email addressed paypal inc its a scam

Thanks. I always go directly to PayPal and start from scratch. I have seen some of those pishing scams and reported them to the spoof address. I often wonder how many people actually freak and just log in through the link provided?!

It is a cancellation notice of auto renewing membership. Although I am not sure why you recieved another one 4 months later, I can see it on our end.

It just showed up out of the blue this morning. Weird . . .

I got a similar email it happened automatically from paypal when i changed the credit card i had on my pp account. Apparantly any subscriptions you had with the old card are autocanceled. I doubt phishers are smart enough to know someone is in the BRS, their first/last name and their paypal email but you never know. No links in the email:

"Dear firstname lastname,

You have successfully cancelled your subscription to Individual BRS Membership Subscription

You will not be billed for this subscription again.

-----------------------------------
Cancellation Details

Cancellation Date: Jul. 24, 2008
Subscription Name: Individual BRS Membership Subscription
Subscription Number: S-long number
Item Number: really long number

Contact Information

If you have any questions about this subscription, please contact Boston Reefers Society, Inc..

Business Name: Boston Reefers Society, Inc.
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone:

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP268"

Last edited:
Mystery Solved!

I got a similar email it happened automatically from paypal when i changed the credit card i had on my pp account. Apparantly any subscriptions you had with the old card are autocanceled.

What a smart cookie! I think you hit the nail right on the head. I did recently update my credit card information on PayPal - I bet that was what triggered the "strange e-mail". I always get paranoid when I see messages like that from PayPal. Thanks for the information - I appreciate it. :)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back