Strange Growth on Toadstool

Aros

BRS Member
Got this Solomon island from Greg holler at the ffm. It’s growth great and then about 3 weeks ago there was a spot where the tentacles wouldn’t extend and it just kinda looked dead at that spot. I check today with a coral feeder and I was about to blow the chunk off and a whole ball came out. Blowing on it I can see yellow dust coming off and then this yellow ball. Now there are two craters in the cap of the shroom. Anyone ever see anything like this???

f6dbf620dd4de65e2288bf9d790505c5.jpg
23ba12936e6dfaac4881f41835e45696.jpg
cc946171a8659ad8a20e17f7607717dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I have a hunch. Is it exactly the same color as the main colony? Sometimes leather corals will get a small infection which will grow along kind of a fault line in the coral. The coral tissue might slough off on the fault line but there may still be some healthy tissue that will then separate and fall off. Once it falls off chances are good if it is healthy it will attach to whatever surface it hits. I'm not sure I've ever seen that with this coral as I've found it generally to be super hardy, but maybe something annoyed it enough to start a small infection.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back