Substrate Question

jcherepo

BRS Member
I have a substrate question that I wanted to run by everyone. I have about 1/2 to 1inch depth of live Fiji Pink sand that has been running for about a year. I wanted to add a bit more (maybe a bag or 2) to even out some low spots on the floor. Would it be ok to add more of the packaged live sand without harm to all my livestock or am I better off searching for dried sand and washing thoroughly and adding slowly? Not sure if adding more live sand is going to begin a mini nitrogen cycle on me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question.

I would think there would be some die off in the live sand bags since they are stored for long periods of time. But with an established tank I would expect maybe a small algae bloom that will go away relatively shortly.

However that is an assumption so take it with a grain of salt. Or a box of salt what ever you want!

My understanding on “live sand “ is that it’s dried then after they sift it to get the right grain size add water and bacteria in a bottle to it and call it live

Interesting. Probably easier and safer for me to find some closely matching dried, clean sand and slowly add so as not to risk bacteria contamination. On a side note, I was down in Grand Cayman on the East End this past May. Miles upon miles of sand that was identical to what they sell as Fiji Pink Sand. If I could only have brought home a few buckets!

As usual, you are right Paul. I am probably overthinking this! Hope the knee is getting better!

Dump it in and forget bout it. Maybe go out to breakfast, try the pancakes. It's fine.

You are right Paul.
The so called live sand is not really live at all.
If you take a cup of live sand from a running reef tank, just let it sit in saltwater, it goes bad in a day or so. Let alone sealed in a bag for months.
Live sand is just wet sand.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back