Sump configuration help

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
limited on space and would like to have cheato for excess nutrients exportation. Im stuck to the middle chanber of my sump which is very small [picture below]

I was considering a micro alage reactor and using the middle chamber for rock rubble as I plan to do a "NSA" type aquascape which will be less rock in th display.

Water in back right into [filter sock], then skimmer, then to
20200919_173310.jpg
the long middle section which will have the pump for the micro alage reactor and rock rubble and lastly to the return pump

Would this be a good plan or shall I consider something else?
IMG_20200920_224308_271.jpg
Screenshot_20200923-210110_Chrome.jpg

Just curious to as how will you take out the filter sock to clean/change behind all that?
I don't think you want Cheato in the middle section. Bits of it will float into the baffle and into the return and clog up the pump.
That's a really expensive macro reactor!

I can get to the sock by taking the skimmer cup off [it's doable with out taking it off but its a pain]

I would remove the baffle on the right hand side to fit the skimmer(looks like it’ll fit) in the the middle section along with the rocks rubbles. Then use the section where you have the skimmer now for fuge. This way, you can get to the sock. Trust me, the easier you make working in the sump, the more likely your tank will succeed.
I’d also look into changing out those rusty hinges before spending $350 on a macro reactor.

I would remove the baffle on the right hand side to fit the skimmer(looks like it’ll fit) in the the middle section along with the rocks rubbles. Then use the section where you have the skimmer now for fuge.
This is a good suggestion. The RedSea Reefer 170 sump looks a bit larger than your sump but it’s similar is shape and size. You could put chaeto in a basket or separate it somehow from the skimmer.

Or, you could also try an above the sump refugium similar to what some people do with their Reefer ATO tanks. I think the above sump fuge would be a hassle though. The ATO fuge photo is someone else’s sump.

9620D53A-2508-4AF7-A4CE-31EE45F1BDAB.jpeg91963DBE-5298-4327-9FA1-DC8C91FA5DE4.jpeg

Your middle chamber could also be used for a DIY algae turf scrubber. It looks almost made for an ATS.

Like this. Cheap and easy. Water running down the screen with a light shining on it.

7D3D4F8E-1D16-47CF-A77F-9193807EDF75.jpeg

I would remove the baffle on the right hand side to fit the skimmer(looks like it’ll fit) in the the middle section along with the rocks rubbles. Then use the section where you have the skimmer now for fuge. This way, you can get to the sock. Trust me, the easier you make working in the sump, the more likely your tank will succeed.
I’d also look into changing out those rusty hinges before spending $350 on a macro reactor.

Getting new hinges and painting them to match the plumbing [and to prevent future rust]

The sock looks like a tight fit but its really not bad, I considered removing baffles but would be worried about micro bubbles in the display, I had that issue with my last tank.

This is a good suggestion. The RedSea Reefer 170 sump looks a bit larger than your sump but it’s similar is shape and size. You could put chaeto in a basket or separate it somehow from the skimmer.

Or, you could also try an above the sump refugium similar to what some people do with their Reefer ATO tanks. I think the above sump fuge would be a hassle though. The ATO fuge photo is someone else’s sump.

View attachment 148503View attachment 148504

I might look into those, depending on required space that may work well

I eco what Nick suggested my first thought was putting skimmer in the middle section by removing a baffle as well and putting the fuge in the first section...

Tossing around the idea of an alage scrubber. Anyone have any luck with those?

Either DIY or a cw-50

I had a DIY ATS on a Biocube a long time ago. It grew hair algae and the tank was healthy. It was essentially a piece or two of plastic knitting mesh that was sanded to rough up the surface a bit. The mesh was hung from a small acrylic rod with zip ties. It kept algae out of the display. For your setup you’d want a pipe with a slit or holes for the water to run up through and then trickle down the mesh and back into the sump. The noise might bug you though.

Back