Super Glue and Mishaps

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Figured y'all would get a kick out of this. So my bulldozer of an orange spotted rabbitfish created some frags today and I figured o.k. I'll glue those to plugs, no big deal right? Well, guess again.

Through the powers of the universe as I was trying to glue a larger piece and place it back in the tank, my doggo #2 that rarely ever jumps up on me, decided that it was a good time to. Needless to say, the coral and the glue miraculously held somewhat, but I fumbled it between my already wet hands and it hit my chest, rolled through the forest of hair and came to a stop on my lap leaving a nice glued patch mid chest to my belly button.
I'd gladly post pics but will spare you all from burnt and scarred retinas for life, FML.

Ill remember that next time before I complain about getting glue all over my hands...

Wow that’s a new one! I thought glue fingers or the occasional drop on the front glass was bad enough

Oh I can beat this. In 2007 I was late for a flight. I HAD to glue down a frag that had fallen in my tank before I left for the airport. As I squeezed the tube of super glue gel, there must have been an air bubble in the top of the tube of glue. As the glue came out, it squirted from the tube and landed in my eye. Luckily I was wearing contacts so it only stuck to the edge of my eyelid (because I blinked when it hit my eye). Got it out, but it still didn't feel right. Went to the ER. Everything was fine. Suffice it to say I missed my flight.

I can top ChrisV on this. I was about 10 or 11 and used instant glue (Cyanoacrylate) to build radio control airplanes made from balsa wood. When it first hit the market it came in the same bottle as Visine. An incredibly bad idea for those that didn't see well, but that's not where the story is going. It was common practice to insert a teflon tube that's incredibly small, but allowed controlled application of the thin runny glue in hard to reach places. I had to flow the glue inside a compound curved fuselage to adhere the sheeting and as I went to quickly put the bottle on the bench and use my now free hand to press things tightly in place...... the teflon tube acted like a launcher or trebuchet type thing and flung a full drop directly in my eye. There was enough of the glue to ooze from my eye when I closed and squinted. (the sheeting came out perfect as I wasn't letting go of my first Spitfire model...lol). My Dad was sitting next to me when it happened and he was a biochemist. His advice was tough it out as the ER would not be able to anything really and it will come out on its own. He was right and after 2 or 3 days I felt it give way and removed a perfect mold of my eye about 2/3 the size of the eyeball and more than half of the sphere. No bad effects other than the misery at the time, but a full 10 on the suckometer. Pretty sure I still have it somewhere with my R/C stuff....lol

FYI: it's non-toxic and actually advanced eye surgery as things to small for stiches or sutures could now be glued. Avoid getting in your eyes of course, but nobody ever blinded themselves with it.

While nail polish remover will soften and remove cured cyanoacrylate, its tough on lots of materials and plastics. You can get a product called "Debonder" at virtually any hobby shop. This stuff works and isn't hard on most materials, but its slow to break it down and requires a little patience.

Be aware a tube of crazy glue could save a life if a cut is bad enough to require stitches and help isn't available. Hope you never need to know that though!

I can top ChrisV on this. I was about 10 or 11 and used instant glue (Cyanoacrylate) to build radio control airplanes made from balsa wood. When it first hit the market it came in the same bottle as Visine. An incredibly bad idea for those that didn't see well, but that's not where the story is going. It was common practice to insert a teflon tube that's incredibly small, but allowed controlled application of the thin runny glue in hard to reach places. I had to flow the glue inside a compound curved fuselage to adhere the sheeting and as I went to quickly put the bottle on the bench and use my now free hand to press things tightly in place...... the teflon tube acted like a launcher or trebuchet type thing and flung a full drop directly in my eye. There was enough of the glue to ooze from my eye when I closed and squinted. (the sheeting came out perfect as I wasn't letting go of my first Spitfire model...lol). My Dad was sitting next to me when it happened and he was a biochemist. His advice was tough it out as the ER would not be able to anything really and it will come out on its own. He was right and after 2 or 3 days I felt it give way and removed a perfect mold of my eye about 2/3 the size of the eyeball and more than half of the sphere. No bad effects other than the misery at the time, but a full 10 on the suckometer. Pretty sure I still have it somewhere with my R/C stuff....lol

FYI: it's non-toxic and actually advanced eye surgery as things to small for stiches or sutures could now be glued. Avoid getting in your eyes of course, but nobody ever blinded themselves with it.

While nail polish remover will soften and remove cured cyanoacrylate, its tough on lots of materials and plastics. You can get a product called "Debonder" at virtually any hobby shop. This stuff works and isn't hard on most materials, but its slow to break it down and requires a little patience.

Be aware a tube of crazy glue could save a life if a cut is bad enough to require stitches and help isn't available. Hope you never need to know that though!
That's nuts!

Oh I can beat this. In 2007 I was late for a flight. I HAD to glue down a frag that had fallen in my tank before I left for the airport. As I squeezed the tube of super glue gel, there must have been an air bubble in the top of the tube of glue. As the glue came out, it squirted from the tube and landed in my eye. Luckily I was wearing contacts so it only stuck to the edge of my eyelid (because I blinked when it hit my eye). Got it out, but it still didn't feel right. Went to the ER. Everything was fine. Suffice it to say I missed my flight.
Haha there's never a "I'm just going to do this really quick before I leave" in reef keeping.

Haha there's never a "I'm just going to do this really quick before I leave" in reef keeping.
Haha I know. And now I have a three day rule.. nothing but the most required things for three days before a trip. There are just too many ways to screw up.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back