Supplemental lighting

Cheddah93

Well known member
What’s everyone’s thought on supplementing leds lights?

Have a photon v2 fixture I was looking to supplement with either 2 t5s or uv bars from reefbreeders or Orphek.

Which way would you go supplement leds with leds or leds with t5s(like maybe two blue plus bulbs)

Last edited:
In your shoes I’d go t5’s since you can adjust the “pop” on the LEDs. I’m going with LEDs to supplement my MH

I run the UV reefbreeders bar on my 16" photon, sps love it and makes the corals look Xtra sweet

I run the UV reefbreeders bar on my 16" photon, sps love it and makes the corals look Xtra sweet
Huge difference in running that bar? I’m just so back and forth on throwing two of those on for supplements or two t5 blue plus.

Huge difference in neatness, I'll report on the sps growth in a month or two, I lost all my previous ones to lyngbya so I wasn't really quantifying their growth pre/post UV. I can say without a doubt there is noticeable extra pop from it so you do get an immediate benefit to viewing your tank. @dz6t is running them if you go by his lab you can see the pop in person

Huge difference in neatness, I'll report on the sps growth in a month or two, I lost all my previous ones to lyngbya so I wasn't really quantifying their growth pre/post UV. I can say without a doubt there is noticeable extra pop from it so you do get an immediate benefit to viewing your tank. @dz6t is running them if you go by his lab you can see the pop in person
Just out of curiosity what are you running your light at? The photon that is, I just worried originally that the uv bar is mainly made up of the 420nm violets they already use in the fixture and then two 405s and 3 385s if I remember right.

Violet is a big factor in coral chlorophyll, so I crank that. I run the photon at 65 blues, 70 violet, 30 white, and 10 for red green. Lights are suspended 12" above waterline.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back