Switching from instant ocean to Red Sea

Rimbo76

Non-member
Rookie question. Can you switch your salt mix from instant ocean to Red Sea on an existing Fowler tank without hurting anything?

Is there any reason to switch? They are equivalent salts.

Nope. Keeping it Fowler for now. Just recently reading about hearing more people leaving toward Red Sea.

Totally agree, I doubt those more expansive Salt has any benefit for reef tank over the cheaper salts. I did not see any benefit using those hype up salts.
No manufacture holds a patent for its salts. All based on a public domain formula.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of the best tanks in the world use Instant Ocean, and it is by far the cheapest. More expensive salts do not give any benefits over IO, other than maybe matching the alk, calc, mag levels in your tank more closely. Buying expensive salts is probably the most common way hobbyists waste money.

Many of the best tanks in the world use Instant Ocean, and it is by far the cheapest. More expensive salts do not give any benefits over IO, other than maybe matching the alk, calc, mag levels in your tank more closely. Buying expensive salts is probably the most common way hobbyists waste money.

Very well said.
The ocean has alk at 7, go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back