Tail spot blenny belly

Blader1234

I want a bigger tank.
Does this look normal? Hes eating and swimming fine and I've only had him a few weeks. 20200204_162341.jpg20200204_162238.jpg

That is definitely not normal and it is almost certain it is starving. They are herbivores and people usually don't know that. Your tank likely won't have enough to feed it without supplementing the diet heavily, and they can be difficult to get eating.

This is what he has been eating. I watch him eat both. Is it possible the TDO is the issue?
20200204_221247.jpg

He could be either really full with the pellets or that could be intestinal parasites. Do you every see him poop? If so what color is it?

I haven't seen it poop and it looks like parasites. Guess I'm going to LFS tomorrow. Any recommendations for meds for him?
Thanks for the help.

If you can get him out to qt him use parazipro. But if you can’t get him out soak the pellets in garlic extract everything 3-4 days. Make sure to only put the soaked pellets into the tank no extra extract as it can cause algae.

Api general cure and seachem focus mixed together with pellets or freeze dried food. The focus binds the general cure to the food

I think this is a much better cure for parasites, as Prazipro does not seem to be as effective.

That being said, how did you (the OP) come to the conclusion it has parasites? Joker asked if you've seen it poop. You said you haven't. The fact that you have not seen it poop does not mean it has parasites. You could have just missed it.

White stringy poop that has trouble coming out indicates parasites, a lack of poop does not.

The fact that it has a sunken belly and is eating would be an indication of parasites, except that it is eating TDO, which is a carnivorous food. I know you said it is also eating seaweed, but the question is, is it enough? My experience has been that these blennies do not do well (i.e. live long) unless your tank has a lot of algae to graze on naturally. They don't seem to eat enough of what they are actually fed. Despite their small size, usually this means they do better in large tanks.

Unless I saw white stringy poop, I would still think it is starving. And the method of soaking in General Cure and Focus is not something I am sure will work on Seaweed.

If the fish is eating pellets, try getting an herbivore pellet like Formula Two. And I would feed the Formula Two before the TDO and spaced well apart. That way the blenny eats first and is hopefully consuming less (or no) TDO.

Edit: I would soak the Formula Two as described by Chris if, and only if, you confirm it is parasites and not starvation.

Last edited:
Api general cure and seachem focus mixed together with pellets or freeze dried food. The focus binds the general cure to the food
If unable to catch fish already in DT will this affect the other livestock/fish if they eat this infused medication in they're food?

I'm not trying to start a fight here but I'm getting 2 different answers here. Is it ok to feed the med concoction even if it's not parasites? If I'm reading it correctly Andy says no and Chis says yes. (And how did I turn on italic lol.) I just dont want him or any of my fish to die.

thanks

I'm not trying to start a fight here but I'm getting 2 different answers here. Is it ok to feed the med concoction even if it's not parasites? If I'm reading it correctly Andy says no and Chis says yes. (And how did I turn on italic lol.) I just dont want him or any of my fish to die.

thanks
I think Chris was referring to the question in post#14, meaning that feeding this in the display with all the other fish will be fine for the other fish.

And no, feeding this to healthy fish should not have any negative impact. My concern is that your fish is clearly NOT healthy, and giving it a dose of medicine that it might not need would not be prudent. Particularly since this method of therapy (and really most methods of fish treatment) is pretty rudimentary. If it does have parasites, then of course, give it the treatment.

Definitely parasites. I've given 2 doses and he and my clown are pooping them out. How many doses would be recommended? I may see how they do with just the 2 doses for a week or so. Dont want to over do it. Any recommendations??

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back