Tang help/suggestions

Rambler67

BRS Member
So I resantly got a purple tang. I already have an established scopas tang In the tank. When the lights where off they were fine as soon as the lights came on the battle started the scopas wouldnt leave the purple tang alone. I did a minor reagraning of the rocks before I put him in didnt help any. Doing some research I am finding that 2 tangs will always fight adding a 3rd tang may help the situation. The purple tang is temporally in my fudge Looking for any thought or suggestions.

Acclimation box
Mirror on the outside of the tank
Tank divider which is hard in a established tank

It seems they do well in odd numbers. I have 5, but they were all added close to each other. Might be worth adding one more (if you have space). Blue Hippo always seem to be a peace maker. I would add both of them together. Good luck!

Hi...how big is the tank? If the tank is large enough, then go to step 2 which is the mirror trick. My scopas was killing a newly added sailfin in my 265. I put a large sized mirror (not a little handheld) on one end of the tank and it simmered everything down a bit. Still need to watch them, keep well fed, turn lights off when needed etc...took about 3 weeks for it to subside enough to remove the mirror. What the mirror does is 2 things; 1) makes 1 new fish look like 3 new fish to the aggressor. Its easier to bully 1 timid fish but not 3 when one is your own reflection standing up to itself...think about that...lol....and 2), the environment will appear much larger

Hi...how big is the tank? If the tank is large enough, then go to step 2 which is the mirror trick. My scopas was killing a newly added sailfin in my 265. I put a large sized mirror (not a little handheld) on one end of the tank and it simmered everything down a bit. Still need to watch them, keep well fed, turn lights off when needed etc...took about 3 weeks for it to subside enough to remove the mirror. What the mirror does is 2 things; 1) makes 1 new fish look like 3 new fish to the aggressor. Its easier to bully 1 timid fish but not 3 when one is your own reflection standing up to itself...think about that...lol....and 2), the environment will appear much larger

It's a 150. I think I'm going to have to try that mirror trick hopefully it work.

I would also have swapped the fish if possible, putting the Scopas in the 'fuge and leaving the new one in the display. Otherwise, I agree mirrors can work wonders. I grabbed one from my local dollar store when I had issues with a tang being a bully.

I would also have swapped the fish if possible, putting the Scopas in the 'fuge and leaving the new one in the display. Otherwise, I agree mirrors can work wonders. I grabbed one from my local dollar store when I had issues with a tang being a bully.

That's was the plan but I missed and caught the purple tang instead.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back