Tank cycle???

1spotpooalot

Non-member
Think I would know this by now, but my new tank 265 gallon, has only been up for a little over a week. I added about 75 lbs of cured rock and another 75 dead clean base rock. I also added Caribsea pink live sand at 140 lbs. I have yet to see any spike. This morning I have 0,0,0, ammonia, nitrites, nitrate. I've been ghost feeding mysis, and brine..really only a couple of times but, thought I should see some numbers. Normal?

if The rock was cycled already you shouldn’t get any ammonia spikes at all. Me personally, I’d add 1-2 hardy fish from your stocking list and test for a week. If everything looks good I’d keep adding fish at a couple a week so the bio filter can keep up with the added waste production.

The rock was bout half cycled. A few pieces with dying material (on purpose to jump start)...and some base. ...well....its fish time I guess...lol

sooooo...didnt trust that the cycle was robust enough, so I added ammonium chloride to dose my level up to 2 ppm. I am still showing amonia, and nitrates at respective levels of 2, 1 after 24hours. Nitrates are finally at 20. Phosphates are also decreasing, i believe as a direct result of Nitrates appearing, but im not quite a chemist...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :) . so, i think the cycle is really now what i expected. I couldve probably gotten away with a small stocking, but I feel more comfortable following the numbers. ill now wait to see am, nitite levels are 0, water change then begin addidng slowly...maybe by the weekend...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back