Tank Drilling

elton092982

MVP
BRS Member
Does the drain and return need to be different sizes ? Also should the return hole be lower then the drain and how much lower ?

Usually you want the drain to be 2x the size of return so it will flow without back pressure.all depends on how much water your pumping in

Thats the most gph that can go through the 1" pipe
If you're pump is pushing 700gph with the head loss it'll work. If the flow is any higher it'll back up in your tank and overflow out of your display

Yes that's the best way to do it my . Maxing things out never is good that way you will have room to wiggle I would rather have the overflow retur pibe be able to handle the flow rate for instance my friend had a one in return to sump and the rate the water flows becomes like a garden hose and made a terrible splashing noise he ended up drilling another 1 in hole and had two pipes and incase one gets plugged you have an emergency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you doing a Durso, or a full siphon like a Herbie or Beananimal? I have a 36 gal with a Herbie style. My plumbing is 3/4" and I close the drain to about 75% capacity to balance with the return pump which is rated at about 570gph. A 1" drain should be able to handle well over 1000gph at full siphon.

I had 1.5" drain and 3/4" return on my 40B. But if you're doing a slower pump, you could certainly do a 1" drain. It depends on how much flow you want through your sump / return pump.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back