Tank of Death

madducks42

Resident Nihilist
BRS Member
Hey Everyone!

It's been a while since I posted here and even longer since I've managed to go to a meeting. I decided to go back to school about a year ago in addition to working full-time and starting a part-time business. So I basically have no free time anymore, lol. But I'm almost done with school so I'll be able to start participating in various hobbies again. Yay!

Back to the subject at hand. Almost two years ago, right before both me and Caesar got crazy busy in our work lives, we decided that our 90 gallon tank was going strong and it'd be fun to do a nano tank. Honestly don't know what we were thinking. We got a Red Sea nano, I don't remember the exact gallon size, it's either the 21 gallon or 34 gallon. Unlike our 90 gallon which we constantly freaked out over and constantly tried new methods instead of just leaving it alone for the first year, the nano tank was largely left on it's own for the first year. We kicked off the ammonia cycling processes but after that it was just regular water changes every 1-2 weeks, usually about 15% of the water. We added one fish about six months in and since then only a handful of coral. We haven't been adding calcium or alkalinity because there isn't really any coral in the tank, I recently added two small frags about two months ago.

The problem is that any invert I put in the tank dies within a few days. Shrimp. Dead. Hermit crabs. Dead. Snails. Super dead. There are actually three snails that have survived for over a month now but that's three survivors out of over a 100. So not good odds. The fish that's in the tank has been in there for over a year now and is doing fine. The few coral frags in the tank are surviving but not thriving. And the algae is out of control. I'm pretty bad at figuring out what type of algae it is. It's brown, kind of filmy, no air bubbles or strings. It covers everything and if I clean it off everything in the tank it will be back within two days.

So long story short, I'm trying to figure out why any invert I add to the tank dies. And secondary, figure out what's up with the algae. Open to any ideas or suggestions.

Tank Info

- It's been up and running for almost 2 years at this point.
- Calcium: 390
- Alkalinity: 6.8
- Magnesium: 1300
- Phosphates: 0
- Nitrates: 0
- Copper: 0
- Ammonia: 0
- Nitrites: 0

Additional notes, it's possible that the calcium and alk swing a bit. Going to try and test every day for the next two weeks. Every time I've tested they've been pretty close to these numbers but I think I usually test after doing a water change. I keep suspecting it's copper but I've tried two different testing kits and it always comes back as zero copper in the tank. We use r/o water and it's the same water source that we use in our 90 gallon and my frag tank, both of which are thriving and have zero issues.

Hello,

Peeping your levels I would say increase alk to 9-10dkh. Where is your salinity at? Are you acclimating inverts? Try running a chemical sponge. What’s your water source?

What tests kits? Are they expired? Also what’s your tests results before water change?

Hello,

Peeping your levels I would say increase alk to 9-10dkh. Where is your salinity at? Are you acclimating inverts? Try running a chemical sponge. What’s your water source?

It'd be really difficult for us to keep the alk in the 9-10dkh range. Honestly we tried that with our 90 gallon tank and gave up after six months. Both the 90 gallon gallon and the frag tank are in the 7-8dkh range and that's been working great. Going to try and get the nano tank into this range, does alk impact inverts? I thought it was more coral that were impacted by that? Salinity is at 1.024. Water source is tap water that runs through an R/O system, same water we use for our other tanks which have zero issues. I have thought about using a chemical sponge and I'm going to look into that. At this point I'm suspecting it's something that's leaching off of the live rock or the sand in the tank. All the inverts are drip acclimated. And they do fine in our other tanks. For example I'll 20 snails to divide up amounts the tanks. Everyone gets drip acclimated then put into their respective tanks. Frag tank and 90 gallon tank are fine, everything is dead within the nano tank in usually a day or two.

What tests kits? Are they expired? Also what’s your tests results before water change?

We have a few of the Hanna checkers because they make things easier. But I also have Salifert and Red Sea brand test kits. None of them are expired. I've used them to cross-check results, i.e. I'll use the Hanna checker for Alk and then also test the results with other test kits. I've never gotten any results that were widely different. The tank is due for a water change this weekend so I'll test the water before the water change and then try and do daily tests for the next week.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what could be going on that would impact the inverts so drastically in this tank. Pretty confident it's not the water source because it would be impacting the 90 gallon and frag tank if that were the case.

I agree with the others, but also where are you getting you CUC from? I wonder if the source is bad.

FWIW, I stopped acclimating my CUC inverts and even coral about two years ago and it seems to work for me. I believe they all came from Love the Reef.

Just saw your last post after posting mine, so ignore what I said I suppose. :) I think carbon/sponge is good idea, also how many inverts are you adding? I wonder if there just isn't enough of a food source to sustain them?

Also, the dying inverts could also be feeding the algae.

I agree with the others, but also where are you getting you CUC from? I wonder if the source is bad.

FWIW, I stopped acclimating my CUC inverts and even coral about two years ago and it seems to work for me. I believe they all came from Love the Reef.

Everything lately has come from Love the Reef. I'll occasionally by stuff online if I can't get it local. But again...everything is doing fine in the other two tanks. I don't even really need to add snails to the other two tanks because the snail population in both those tanks reproduce regularly. I only add snails to those tank as a comparison to the nano tank.

Just saw your last post after posting mine, so ignore what I said I suppose. :) I think carbon/sponge is good idea, also how many inverts are you adding? I wonder if there just isn't enough of a food source to sustain them?

Also, the dying inverts could also be feeding the algae.
Haha, no worries. Because this has been an issue since the start of the tank I've only added a few snails at a time. Usually around five, occasionally a peppermint shrimp, basically just to see if the issue has resolved. For the first year I thought maybe the cycling was just taking longer than usual and the fish was a badass and surviving against the odds. But now that we're almost at two years I suspect something else is going on. I just don't know what and it's driving me insane. Going to see if I can pickup a sponge this weekend.

No, me either. If it were a pseudochromis or hawkfish some such I might wonder though. Some individual fish are outliers, like my former shrimp-eating royal gramma. But I doubt it with a damsel.

I will suggest check your heater and pumps.
Older heater can have a bad seal and leaks heavy metal and electricity.
Also which copper test kit are you using? Check its expiration date and if it is API, trash can it goes.

I had the same issue. I’ll say as well that you have some metal issues. I’ll try to find the metal absorbing media that I used to get rid of it in my other tank. You will have to find the source though.

How about sending out an ICP test? I know mag. over 1500 will kill snails. But yours is only 1300. ICP will tell you things we can’t test for it may be a good $30 bucks spent since you lost 100 CUC already. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Happy Reefing

Did some tests over the weekend.

Copper was once again at 0. Using a Saifert test, I checked the expiration date.

Calcium: 450
Mag: 1560
Alk: 9.1
Nitrate: 0

It'd been almost three weeks since a water change which is much longer than we normally go. I'm going to test again in a couple days to see where the calcium and alk are at, we're not dosing the tank at the moment because there are only a couple small frags in the tank at the moment. We're still trying to figure out a low key setup for dosing, assuming we need it. We have no plans to put any SPS in the tank and will probably stick with easy coral in this tank. The calcium has been mostly stable but I'm concerned about alk swings (not sure if alk swings impact snails though?). And the mag definitely seems high, not sure what we can do about that.

Also going to look into doing an ICP test the stuff @Chris A. mentioned above. I did look over the equipment and if there is anything leaking it's not obvious. We also don't have that much equipment in the tank, it's a very basic setup. I did swap out the heater a couple months ago as a just in case precaution. I also added some carbon to the tank over the weekend.

might seem silly, at one time things were dying in my tank. it ended when I stopped using carpet deodorizer. Could it be something like air freshners you use in that room? Assuming the "death tank" is in a different room than the others... also I only use water with a bit of vinegar to clean outside glass of tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back