Tank Temp

FixIt

Soaking in the salt info
So I am trying to decide if my tank temp is to cold. It stays around 76.5 degrees. Shouldn't it be closer to 79 or 80? I have a heater in my first chamber of my biocube, should it be over in the 3rd one where the return pump is to warm the water being added back to the display side?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I keep mine in the first chamber because I have more room, but if your heater fits in the third chamber try it. As long as your water easily circulates through all three chambers, it doesn't really matter. One thing I did with my bio cubes is cut a one inch square out of the wall between chambers one and two to allow more water to flow through. I have the original bio cubes so I don't know if this is necessary anymore. I think most of us try for 78 degrees, but every tank is different.

I don't think the location of the heater is important as long as it is submerged enough. Based on personal exp. I try to keep my tank temp at 78degrees, much easier to do in the winter time. LOL

Location of the heater doesn’t matter as long as the temp probe is in the same body of water.
My tank runs at constant 76 in the winter and 76-78 in the summer.

Location of the heater doesn’t matter as long as the temp probe is in the same body of water.
By this do you mean that it needs to be in the same chamber?

I keep mine at 77. In winter it'll go down to 76, in summer up to 80 - if it gets above 81 I used to shut off the T5 lights, but now with LED I don't think that'll be necessary.

By this do you mean that it needs to be in the same chamber?

Yes. You need to keep the temp probe in the same chamber. Bad things can happen when they’re not. I had heaters in the air while the temp probe was in the water and the controller kept the heaters on. As soon as the water fills in the heaters, they pop making it a headache to clean up and can be an electrical shock hazard. Since then, I make sure the temp probe and heaters are always in the same chamber.

2008_parms GREAT BARIER REEF.jpg

great barrier reef chart

I keep mine at 77. In winter it'll go down to 76, in summer up to 80 - if it gets above 81 I used to shut off the T5 lights, but now with LED I don't think that'll be necessary.

I never could understand why some reefers tank temps fluctuate by season. Is this intentional? Unless the changes are due to higher environment temps than what the tank temp is set too, I would think your heaters would allow to maintain a constant temp year round, no?

Rarely anyone would want their temp to fluctuate intentionally.
Have you tried to keep your tank at a constant temperature? You either pay through the nose on heating it in the winter or cooling it in the summer.

Because my AC is shoddy so my home environment gets above 77. We don't typically turn the AC on until it is going to be 80 plus for the day. In the winter, my house heat is set at 64-65.

Ok, makes sense and was my thought. I just see it often stated and made me question whether some do it intentionally. lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back