Tank Temperature????

BeanniesDaDa

Non-member
As the topic states.. I'm having a problem regulating my tank temp. Right now its at 82-83. What would you recommend the temp to be?

My temp ranges from 78ish at night to 80-82 during the day
I have a small fan on the back of my canopy sucking air in, 2 inch gap along the whole back and 3 2 inch holes on the top, the room also has a massive AC unit on the other side for the real hot days

We keep ours at 78*F. If you don't have a chiller or A/C, you might want to keep it at 80, so there is less fluctuation in the summertime! Good luck!

Nice slaveboy! Just picked up a small fan that is mountable on a wall (tilts to 90 degrees) also is automatic so you can set it to the temp you want it to come on. Put
it in my sump this afternoon. Brought the temp down 1.5 degrees.

Thanks guys, I think Ill kick the heater down another notch. I did not see any temp increase from my lights. I just hope its maintanible in the summer thanks again.

Mines pushing 85 with no cover and the room AC on. I an going to get a clip on fan this week and set it up on the lights timer.

Nano,
If that's really pushing 85, I would suggest getting it down a.s.a.p! Drop the temp. gradually, though, so you don't shock everything. Try putting water in a 1 or 2 liter bottle, freeze it, then put the SEALED frozen bottle in your sump. That'll help drop the temp., or you can float it in your tank. Don't fill the bottles to the top, or they will expand and crack, and put fresh water in your tank as they melt.

78 here,
I'll slowly bring it up to 80 for the summer. I like to see no more than a 1 deg. flux throughout the day (easy in the winter but summer is another story)
If I saw 85 I would be in emergency mode!

Mine was running 82-83 a couple days ago but has since settled in back at 80.. No AC's in yet so.... house gets pretty warm. but it will cool off for a little bit. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the ACs in.

Just put in central air last year....works great! Now Ifferfish is debating whether to hook up her new chiller, or sell it. Arrrggghhhh!

I'm lucky on my 75g SPS the sump is in the basement and the tank is in living room w/AC.
But this is my first summer with my 45g soft/LPS tank and temp hit 84F on it:eek:
I need some hood fans and a sump fan I think.

My sump is also in the basement, and it makes a HUGE difference. However, in the summer, with the sun beating in the kitchen through glass sliders, it can still cause temp. fluctuation. Having the A/C is a big help, and seemed to have solved the fluctuation issue. Plus, the A/C keeps US comfy, as well as the tank!

No AC. My is hooked up to a ranco controller. The controller turns two fans on at 79.3 degrees at which point the temp drops pretty quickly down to 78.3 at which point the fans shut off.

This goes on perpetually. One fan in the sump, one blowing across the halides. I've got a small tank ( 65 gallons ) with 6 powerheads, an external Iwaki, and 500 w of de halides above my tank. If I can keep my temp down without AC you should be able too!

That beeing said, it hasnt gotten that hot yet. I may end up with room ac or something.. ;)

I'm hoping to keep mine below 80 all summer. Last year I lost most everything when my tank stayed at 85 for days and then spiked up to 89 one day. Don't make the mistake I did and just assume that everything looks OK. Heat over a long period of time can ruin all your hard work.

I think a lot of you guys would be better off aiming for higher temperatures. In my opinion wouldn't a constant temp of 80-82 be perfectly fine and better than nights of 78 and days of 82 or so.
Having the temperture stay constant in the summer is easier and cheaper at 80, 81, 82 than it is at 78, 79.
My point is for Beanies DaDa, you may be worse off kicking the heater down. If your heater works properly, it is only going to be on when the temp drops below xx degerees. By turning it down, your tanks daytime high will not go down any, it will just have a larger fluctuation from day to night.

I think the theory in a lower nite temp is that it will take longer to reach critical temp. If you start at 82, it's not that long or hard to hit 84-6 & disaster. But if you start at 78....
Diving in Cozumel, the night temp on the reef does dip. There is a strong current that cools the reef off, down to 77/8. Daytime highs can be 79-83 depending upon depth

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back