Tank upgrade

Jayboxer101

Non-member
So I have pulled the trigger and will be upgrading my 75 gal mixed reef to a 180 gal. New tank will be built into wall right behind where my 75 is Now. So current tank will run entire time new tank will be plumbed and tinkered with. I have been thinking about adding more water volume to my setup (using 50gal containers) and having overflow drain into tub then drain into sump of tank. Prob with a power head for circulation. Is this even needed? I have a total of 95 gallons now and will need 200+ for new setup. I want to move everything over in one day hopefully using 160 or so gallons of existing water. If not I will be maybe around 70 gallons or so and then filling the rest with new salt water. I figure the temp water bins would be used for future ro and salt mix anyway so no added cost. Am I being too cautious? Thanks in advance
8d0514c5f2658b173e9ff889a348c7d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely wouldn’t hurt. Having another 50 gallons of water already at your tank settings. Then it’ll be like a 25% water change when you switch over.

What brand tank are you considering for that 180? I been pricing out custom 180-240 and the quotes are scaring me to say the least. I might have to go the mass produced route also.

Yes prices are high for sure. I was actually able to score an Aqueon 180 for $500 from a misorder. I was going with a 150 until this came about. Dimensions are pretty good though 72x24x25. Duel overflows, small plumbing though a 3/4” and a 1” in each overflow. Kinda wish it was 1” across board. Planning on Herbie style with return over back of tank. Want to feed fuge with one skimmer chamber with the other. Picking up tank this coming Monday and will start the task of plumbing.

9f587263e26fd8aa7cf28b1736bca445.jpg

This is stand I built with apex cabinet to hide all wires. My wife’s deal was I could use spare bedroom al long as it looks good in bedroom and in living room. She is taking over rest of room with plants. I live in a jungle. But she is on board with spending thousands so yippe.

How high is the stand? Did you use plans? Do you have any early assembly pics of the stand.

Looking good.

36” high. Would have gone about 8-10” lower but once again she has a plan for living room side. As far as stand goes I’m an electrician by trade so have learned a lot in 20 years on job sites and have a wood shop that I use for relaxing. Built with 2x6 doubled up underneath with staggered 2x6 supports so no twisting. Front of tank is actually on the framed wall. Once again with double 2x6 on top. All topped by some 3/4” cabinet plywood. Although I will have to chop some away when I get tank here for overflow pipes. Any one know where to buy some 50 gal vertical water tanks? Found online but $150 just in shipping. I’m down here in southern mass. I would drive an hour or so to save that. If not it will have to be brute barrels. Ugg

bb4b27a2ee8c4753a2cb6ccb7af2725d.jpg

This is where I am at now. I have slowly added 110 gal of water volume to my current tank. Heaters and bio blocks in each barrel. Started with one and not one parameter changed in my tank over three weeks so I added another. The only difference now I see is that my ato runs much more and my nitrates have dropped to around 5. Has been at 10 for last two years. I now have about 200 gal running in system. I estimate new setup will require between 210-220 gal so won’t be much new water needed. I have never seen it done like this before but I am hoping it leads to less stress on all inhabitants. It is taking so long to get all supplies. Mostly waiting on my apex gear and main pump. When you get luck enough to get about 30% off then you wait a bit. But getting impatient.

Here’s pic of sump and plumbing. Moved my dosed already but is still feeding old tank
ef175ce6ebed5ae339013bb060501918.jpg
f9a371ef234abc6d927aafb808d4cf39.jpg

Yeah dosing pump mod I believe was found on this forum. Took about 10 min and was super easy. Moving everything over this weekend. We will see how it goes. Although my better half and I are arguing about keeping a big tomato clown. Had him for almost 10 years already but he is a beast. And with the extra room I would like to get some other fish. He doesn’t like newcomers but my wife can’t let go.

Also made my own biopellet reactor from a whole house water filter. Can hold 6+ cups and cost $50 instead of the $200 I was finding online. Only tested the flow/tumble so far and works great. Long term we will see

I was just wondering how well your emergency siphon flow back valve will work in the horizontal position as you have it installed currently. Most of them I see are installed vertically for the flapper inside to seal with the weight of the water in the pipe when your pump turns off. Not sure if you want to modify this?

I did the same thing 6 months ago, 90 to a 180. Looking good so far and excited to see how it turns out. My only advise is however much water you think you need, add 40-60 gallons to it.

Good eye with the back flow preventer. I ran out of fittings so when I filled it with fresh water to check for leaks I used what I had on hand. But will be moved b4 Saturday. I know every employees name at Home Depot I’m there so much.

Damn I only have room for 30 gal extra. Size of my old mixing station. I’m gonna have to save every drop.

Here’s pic of sump and plumbing. Moved my dosed already but is still feeding old tank
ef175ce6ebed5ae339013bb060501918.jpg
f9a371ef234abc6d927aafb808d4cf39.jpg

Looking awesome. Where did you pick up these trueunion ball valves?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back