Temporary remove center brace on stand

highfive52

FISH and CHIPS
Tank is not here yet. In build need to install large sump. No way it's going thru with that center brace. How is that held in? Need to remove rear brace to install sump. How do I remove it then reinstall it. How is it held in. Solid oak if that helps. Gotta paint and do other stuff also so I can flip it around. . Pretty handy but nervous. Plantet aquarium stand. Here is pic of back brace. Cant go through top its solid.

Attachments

• received_1696546523841275.jpeg
    received_1696546523841275.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 358
Glued and fastener. If you’re lucky, screws from top and bottom should be easy to remove, then tap with hammer (use a block) to crack the glue and remove. More likely on a commercial stand it has glue and nail gun brads, which will be harder to remove without damaging the stand. May find it easier to just cut the brace, cleanly remove the ends from the top and bottom, add the sump and then add a new center brace with fresh glue and nails/screws.

Glued and fastener. If you’re lucky, screws from top and bottom should be easy to remove, then tap with hammer (use a block) to crack the glue and remove. More likely on a commercial stand it has glue and nail gun brads, which will be harder to remove without damaging the stand. May find it easier to just cut the brace, cleanly remove the ends from the top and bottom, add the sump and then add a new center brace with fresh glue and nails/screws.
Oscillating tool would make a nice clean cut. Good luck.

Perhaps contact planet aquarium? You can’t be the first guy trying to get a big sump in there. There may be a provision that is not obvious.

This type of stuff always scares me. I always question the integrity of the stand even before I do anything to mess with it so after I always hate my life while filling the tank with water and rock.

You put it in from the top before you put the tank on it. You might need to remove a cross brace, but that's a lot easier than a center vertical brace.

That's how I did mine, and one of the cross braces was made to come out.

I wouldn't cut anything. No matter how thin the blade is, it still removes material.

It's out, cut nails with multi tool. Sanded and primed 1st coat mold and mildew primer. 3 more coats then white glossy appliance paint after seems all caulked.

Attachments

• 20200814_082119.jpg
    20200814_082119.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 338
  • 20200814_110131.jpg
    20200814_110131.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 341
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back