Testing Alkalinity

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Just curious how often everyone test Alkalinity. Since buying a doser, I've been testing daily to figure out consumption. Maybe someone can explain a little more in depth. I've always just hand dosed in the past.

When starting dosing or Changing doses:
Every day same time for around 2 weeks

After it's stable:
once or twice a week

4x a day
Consistently doing the test at the same time is key and also try to do it before you feed so there’s less stuff in the water.

I test alkalinity once every 2-3 weeks using Hanna checker. To maintain alkalinity, I use a dosing pump to dose 6 equal doses per day of 2 part solution. I also use KALK in my top-off water, which supplies roughly 1/3 of my alkalinity demand. I usually increase the 2-part dosing amounts by about 20% every 2-4 months, when the alkalinity gets below 8.

4x a day
Consistently doing the test at the same time is key and also try to do it before you feed so there’s less stuff in the water.

Show off!
That is because you have a GHL,
I will go there and yank it off your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's a question. When do you have to start dosing your tank with additives? other than biweekly water changes of 15-20gals on a 90gal.

C'mon you got it.
Honestly, this has been ten yrs in the making. I was so scared about cycling and all that I bought an old system. I was so scared to kill the bacteria I didnt even clean it for two weeks after. Even then only one thing at a time. All ive done is water changes tho and its been smooth sailing. 9.9-10.2 alk 425-430 calc and 13and change mg. Honestly I test three four times a week and they dont realy go anywhere. Honestly kinda says alot about water changes. When in doubt change it out!!!!!

I thought the red sea one handed jober thingy was cool. Can we crowd fund a micro icp tester. Anyone???

What are you referring to?
There is no such thing as micro ICP-OES machine.
A used ICP-OES costs about 100k to start with and need a trained technician to operate.

Also, ICP can’t be used to test Alkalinity.
ATI, Triton and AquaMedic test Alk using traditional methods. They include Alk in their reports because they have to.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back