The value of a conch!

TomD

Non-member
In 12 years of reefing I've never owned a conch. After my tank cycled I started to get your normal algae bloom with some diatoms and a tiny bit of diatom bubble algae slime on the sand. Well 2 days with a conch and my sand is pure white and no algae to be found. What a job!

Where I have never owned one if the tank stays relatively algae free as I plan on adding a good skimmer will it have enough to eat?

The problem, in my experience, is that they randomly go dormant for up to a week at a time so it's pretty inconsistent.

I have to say I was a bit weary about it at first but my conch has been a great addition to my tank really does a tiptop job keeping the sand clean.

Chris - Thank thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. There is absolutely no algae in the tank. If I put Nori on a clip do they go up the glass or do you clip it near the bottom?

Put it low enough for him to get at it, they can lift themselves against the glass and rocks but not climb

Where do you guys get them haven't seen them I a while at lfs anyone have one for sale...jw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine at Jays. Possibly the best creature for an after cycle algae bloom I have ever seen because I didn't have one!

Back