Things that aggravate you in this hobby

niftyjosh

Non-member
What do other hobbyist, LFS, or other entities do that really aggravate you?

My big one is using the names given to fish in "Finding Nemo" to describe an entire species of fish. Nemo, Dory, Bubbles, etc....

LFS employees that try to cheat you out of money or who tell you completely wrong information and still stand behind when you call them out on it

LFS employees complaining about people buying on-line and putting them out of business... 30 seconds after being completely rude to you (not for the first time!)

The finding nemo stuff i find pretty annoying and i havnt been reefing long so can only imagine what some of you veterans must think of it lol

People that waste their own time reading a thread that they don't want to read then posting a complaint about it so I have to waste my time reading their post while skimming through the thread.

Just busting your chops!

I REALLY don't like when I go in to some of the smaller LFS and feel like I am being watched like a hawk and then feel like I am being given the stank eye if I walk out without making a purchase. Any one else ever get that feeling?

I REALLY don't like when I go in to some of the smaller LFS and feel like I am being watched like a hawk and then feel like I am being given the stank eye if I walk out without making a purchase. Any one else ever get that feeling?

lol! i'm also in RI and i'm going to go ahead and guess we're talking about the same place lol. Yes its freaking obnoxious, like way to make a potential customer feel uncomfortable.

Also i can confirm that as a lady i get talked down to ALOT at many lfs. Guess you can't be a woman and know anything about hobby -.- womp womp.

lol! i'm also in RI and i'm going to go ahead and guess we're talking about the same place lol. Yes its freaking obnoxious, like way to make a potential customer feel uncomfortable.

Also i can confirm that as a lady i get talked down to ALOT at many lfs. Guess you can't be a woman and know anything about hobby -.- womp womp.

The only reason I even go to any of the places in RI is to get RO water. Mass is where its at as far as the decent shops go.

When a coral dies/melts in my tank for no apparent reason.SPS,LPS or a zoa.
It's good to learn from mistakes.But,if I can't find a reason,I can't learn and correct it,or do things different.
That aggravates me.

The finding nemo stuff i find pretty annoying and i havnt been reefing long so can only imagine what some of you veterans must think of it lol

Not sure it has anything to do with how long you have had a tank. Some people let stuff like LFS employess and the Nemo thing get to them, others don't. You either say "yeah, that's a Dory", glad that the person recognized the fish, or let it burn you up that some "stupid" person doesn't know the correct name. If you are one of the latter I'm guessing fish tanks are not the only thing get you all worked up.

When a coral dies/melts in my tank for no apparent reason.SPS,LPS or a zoa.
It's good to learn from mistakes.But,if I can't find a reason,I can't learn and correct it,or do things different.
That aggravates me.
nothing really gets to me except what he said.i recently had a big colony of eagles eyes melt away and still can't figure out why

Things that aggravate me?

Trying to acclimate a fish while it's determined to get out of the bag and wont stop ramming into the side of the bag, biting it and trying to jump out and your shrimp is trying to crawl all over the bag to inspect the new addition.

What really bothers me the most doesn't even have to do with the LFS or the reef hobby specifically, but it's related. I get really ticked when I go into home depot and get treated from the get-go like I must not have a brain because I'm a woman. Yes, HD employee, I may be wearing heels, but I work in the industrial supply industry and have grown up around tools my entire life. I know what a 90 degree elbow is. I know that I need PVC cement to assemble plumbing (yes I was really asked flat out if I knew that I had to glue PVC). I probably know more than a good number of the HD employees I've dealt with, so it ticks me off when they assume right away I must be clueless and treat me accordingly.

Reefers that think every thing should be free/ cheap! This is no cheap hobby!!!
A customer that says that they learned online and has to be right..

But the big thing is Not Having the funds to make a 10,000 galloon reef!!!!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back