thoughts on Aquatic life T5 LED hybrid light fixture

mvallee

Non-member
In this hobby you usually get what you pay for so curious if anyone in the club has tried this light Aquatic life T5 LED hybrid light fixture I am looking at the 48" fixture which seems to be a reasonably priced 4 bulb T5 fixture that would allow for the mounting of up to three LED fixtures of your choice.
light.JPG
I was thinking two Hydra 52HD or 3 Hydra 26HD. These LED's with 4 T5 bulbs should be perfect over and 22" deep X 20" wide tank.
Cost would be about $1500 or $1300 respectively plus the t5 bulbs.
I have other hybrid fixtures in mind like Geisman Aurora or reefbrite but would be another $5-700 but would be top of the line

cons from reviews are
- the cords come out of opposite ends because they are the same fixture just flipped for the opposite side
- non dimmable T5's
- no cord management
with individual cords for each side of the T5's I can control length of time they are on easily and of course AI fixtures are super controllable.

was almost thinking of going with the 61" fixture so I could mount 4 AI Primes for even better coverage but that would look dumb over a 60" tank plus a lot of light spill out the sides right .

Seems like a semi reasonable priced no frills fixture that would get me to a hybrid light and the biggest expense is the type of LED fixture I go with.

thanks and thoughts opinions on this appreciated

Just found this video review, while I get they are very biased by what they sell I enjoy their videos and this gives a better idea of what this light looks like and the configuration of it.
The funniest part is the opening add for Poo-Pourri good for a chuckle if the same add comes up for you

From lack of replies I am guessing no one has this hybrid fixture, they are pretty new. Reviews look good and think I will give them a shot, then can provide some feedback

Question 48" fixture with 4 T5 bulbs should provide decent coverage over a 60" tank and do not think I need to go up to the 61" fixture, does that sound right?

For the LED choice I am struggling with mounting three Hydra 26 HD's or four AI primes. I think the Primes would give better even coverage vs 3 Hydra 26's, I really do not think two hydra 26's would give me the coverage I will need any thoughts on the coverage of 4 AI primes over a 60" long 22" deep tank with 4 T5's vs 2 or 3 hydra 26's

I plan on mainly LPS like torches, hammers, frogspawn Zoa's, duncans elegance etc... bottom to upper third with a few simple SPS like monti's green slimer and or birds nest up top. possibly a BTA in here too but not sure.

I think the 48” would be fine.. that would only be a 6” GSP at either end. If you are hanging it 6” or more off the water you will get the spread you are looking for.

As far as AI goes I know Dong switched over the reefbreeders recently because of a better design and warranty. Logan from reef breeders just recently talked at or last meeting, if you are spending for top end LED’s maybe look into them. Once I can get s budget to work in my tank again from the Mrs. I am looking to upgrade and try out the reef breeders. Plus the nice thing about them is they have a couple different sizes. So you could get 2 16” or one 48” [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 48” would be fine.. that would only be a 6” GSP at either end. If you are hanging it 6” or more off the water you will get the spread you are looking for.

As far as AI goes I know Dong switched over the reefbreeders recently because of a better design and warranty. Logan from reef breeders just recently talked at or last meeting, if you are spending for top end LED’s maybe look into them. Once I can get s budget to work in my tank again from the Mrs. I am looking to upgrade and try out the reef breeders. Plus the nice thing about them is they have a couple different sizes. So you could get 2 16” or one 48”

I have not looked at reef breeders. I had them 5 years ago (I know that is a lifetime when it comes to LED), I think they were called Photons or something like that and I did not like them at all. If Dong has made the switch though they are worth looking into.
I would also need to make sure they would fit in the mount of the hybrid fixture too.

Thanks for the input

Photon v2 are the new reef breeders and so far I like them better than my old LED’s but the controller could be better imo

Photon v2 are the new reef breeders and so far I like them better than my old LED’s but the controller could be better imo
that's what I remember being a pain in the arse the most with the manual controls in the front, not synced so two independent lights to configure then I got the hydra 52's with director and said this is the way to do it.

They have a remote that controls the 6 channels but you have to input the values of each channel for every hour which takes a while. Then if you want to change it a little repeat above lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back