Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 5.3%

Votes: 2 3.5%

Votes: 29 50.9%

Votes: 22 38.6%

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
From my understanding, salinity is made up of all the salts in water. That includes alk calcium magnesium potassium.... so if you run those elevated I’d say you’re better off at a higher salinity to keep ( going to wing this one ) NaCa balanced.

My tank is constantly high 1.030. Mix tank sps lps. everything grows very good. Fish seem to never get sick as well.

Does anyone not need to add top off water? I do weekly water changes but the salinity usually does not change during the week and I am not adding water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember right 1.025 is the average of surface salinity, but what ocean, it's lattitude, and depth, and temperature affect the range. A lot of oceans seem to be over 1.030 . There is salinity maps out there by NOAA I believe updated each year.

I keep mine at 1.026 but keeping in mind i tend to get a lot of salt creep, and evap so there is always swings. I've seen 1.035 in my tanks before and down to 1.019, usually in winter months. I've always been a believer salinity swings with observation help condition corals over time to be more forgiving, but thats only my hypothesis. I haven't done a water change since the last week of March, and swear it has helped, though calcium and Iodine needed to be supplemented.

I keep mine at 1.026.
Coral does not seem to mind high salinity over 1.030 but I guess fish will think differently except those from the red sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back