Tom D's Red Sea Build , more like progression thread!

TomD

Non-member
First, setting up! It's the RedSea e series 43 with the Hydra LED's.

Was all very straightforward, although I was confused for a few over the return. Ive never had a return not connect directly to the barb. On the red sea there is a right angle that you then screw into a piece of plastic so the return tube is actually not touching the outlet barb.

And thank God I still had my RODI due to my office tank. I really can't believe it. I purchased this from someone here and its been a couple years and the inline TDS meter is still reading 0. Its a Kent Spectra. I need to change filters soon.

Attachments

• Tank in box1.jpg
    Tank in box1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 523
  • Building Stand.jpg
    Building Stand.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 543
  • tank empty .jpg
    tank empty .jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 516
  • My RODI.jpg
    My RODI.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Filling up and Rock

I used sand from Marco's and some Marco rock, although due to my awful first attempt at aqua scaping I did use a fair amount of LR which is probably why my cycle was so short. The first pic was a pile of rocks. Second pic is my final rockscape.

Filling Tank .jpgFilling Tank .jpgSide of rock pile.jpg

Attachments

• Tank All Full Front.jpg
    Tank All Full Front.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 520
And now after cycle and where are today. The meteor shower and Goby were new additions today. I can't wait until the shower colors up!!! I am very very impressed with the light on this tank. Pic of this first acro. I can't believe how cheap it was. My local LFS is the BEST as far as prices.

new goby on metoeor.jpgsandbed clam.jpgAcro up top view.jpg

And here we are now

Here are the pics I took today. I don't like to put too many corals up top until I am sure my rose bubble isn't going to move. He hasn't moved since he got to his current spot. These LED's are very bright so I have been going up 1% per day. The first day I put him in I shut down the powerheads and sure enough he went under a rock and didn't come out for a few days. Today was the largest I have seen it expand so it may stay. The acro is up pretty high but it is placed towards the back of the tank so I will have to keep an eye on it but I don't think it will be too much.

My review of this tank is for $1500 it's a great tank and looks furniture quality, HOWEVER, for $1500 with a skimmer that must be upgraded I feel it should have come with the sump. I will be ordering that very soon and looking for opinions on skimmer options.

My other comment is getting a conch as part of your cleanup crew. This is the first time ever that my post cycle algae bloom lasted 48 hours! After the cycle I tested no amonia and added my clowns. A few days later the entire sand bed was getting covered with diatoms and slime. Well, I know I mentioned this in another thread but 48 hours with him in there it was ALL gone. It worked so great I got one for my work tank as well. Now there is no algae in sight so I will be using a little nori on the advice of a fellow club member to keep him fed. I highly recommend them!

Side View with anenome.jpgFirst acro in new tank .jpgWatchman .jpgFull tank .jpg

Next week I will be starting the same type of thread when I upgrade my office tank from a nuvo 8 to a 13.5 Fluval. I already have upgraded lighting so that should be a fun tank!

Looks good! Cute little goby. The marco sand looks like it settles nicely also.

Not yet and today the RBTA really expanded to about triples the size of that pic. I hope they do.

Looks great! I love cube tanks.
Does the RBTA host the clowns?
Not yet. My last tank they never took so I am really hoping this time they will. Frankly, I find them to be a pain so the only reason I get one is in the hope that the clowns will host.

Nice chalice, never been a big fan but might try one :cool:
I've always been an LPS lover. I like one big acro at the top followed by some nice softies, a clam, anemone, and a lot of LPS. I'll say it again this is my first tank (2 now with the one at work), that I have had a conch and it keeps the sand like its new. It is my new favorite member of the cleanup crew!

Back