Torch flow

Rate my flow?

• Total voters

chadfish

BRS Member
I got my first torch, can you tell me if my flow is good? He’s not fully open, but also probably still acclimating .
Also what PAR do you keep your torch at?

Torches are known to be finicky when moved and sometimes take time to adjust. Flow looks good but I see it on the rock work. That could be to much light depending on your lights. I’d probably shoot for under 150 par if possible.

Torches are known to be finicky when moved and sometimes take time to adjust. Flow looks good but I see it on the rock work. That could be to much light depending on your lights. I’d probably shoot for under 150 par if possible.
Great, thanks. Yeah currently low PAR, estimating 60 PAR now, ramping up to 120-150 PAR

I got my first torch, can you tell me if my flow is good? He’s not fully open, but also probably still acclimating .
Also what PAR do you keep your torch at?

Looks good to me. If too much it will close up. Random flow is best. Not direct flow though. If it’s hitting the rock work you could see it beating itself up and random pieces floating away from torch. For par. Start down low. If it needs more par it will reach or stretch for it. You’ll know. But closing up could be a sign of too much. One thing with Torches is keeping things stable. Especially alkalinity. They are very sensitive and don’t like changes. Also it’s best to put them somewhere in your tank and let them adjust. Don’t - let me say it again Don’t’ keep moving it around pick a spot and leave it. Good luck

Looks good to me. If too much it will close up. Random flow is best. Not direct flow though. If it’s hitting the rock work you could see it beating itself up and random pieces floating away from torch. For par. Start down low. If it needs more par it will reach or stretch for it. You’ll know. But closing up could be a sign of too much. One thing with Torches is keeping things stable. Especially alkalinity. They are very sensitive and don’t like changes. Also it’s best to put them somewhere in your tank and let them adjust. Don’t - let me say it again Don’t’ keep moving it around pick a spot and leave it. Good luck
I hear you. I think I found a good spot for it if it likes the flow. The par will never get too intense as it’s high up but near the back where the light drops off. Shooting for 150. I’m in the process of ramping up after having to dim the lights to save everything. The system has since stabilized and color is coming back to all corals so the lights are ramping back up, hopefully to their original schedule.

How’s the new Torch doing?
Thanks for asking! It’s hard to say if he’s as happy as he can be because this is my first one… but all his tentacles are out, some are quite long.

Im a bit nervous though because I saw a tentacle tip was severed and floating around yesterday. Concerning for sure. Here’s a video from just now of the random flow he’s getting. I’m going to want to check the PAR soon too. (again haha)

Looks great. Nice job! I’ve seen tentacles floating around could be damaged from rock, feeding tube, etc. I wouldn’t be concerned about one but if it was happening often I would figure out what is happening. Could be a fish stealing food. No problem for meter. I’m going to need chaeto soon. Lol. Killed mine

Looks great. Nice job! I’ve seen tentacles floating around could be damaged from rock, feeding tube, etc. I wouldn’t be concerned about one but if it was happening often I would figure out what is happening. Could be a fish stealing food. No problem for meter. I’m going to need chaeto soon. Lol. Killed mine
Yeah, mine is getting big again. Should be a couple weeks though because I gave some away 2 weeks ago.

If you see torch looses it’s tentacle, there may be an issue.

Last edited:
But from the video you posted today, the torch looks great with great extension. Sometimes clownfish can nip a tentacle or two off.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back