under rockwork.

BoArDwAxStYlE

Non-member
Whats the best thing to use under rockwork?
I was told egg crate but it seems to have a problem with GHA and i want to not have that problem from the start.
So does anyone have any ideas?

If you put the rockwork in first ,so it is on the glass, and then put the sand in it doesnt allow the rocks to shift if anything digs under them. Ive never used eggcrate on the bottom, have seen people do it though. I agree, Hair algae does seem to like to grow on white eggcrate.

Thanks alot all, yeah im going to be setting up a 72 bow this weekend and didnt want a future rock pile on the living room floor.

I dont understand the relationship between GHA and eggcrate.. I put eggcrate down, then live rock, then sand. My eggcrate is an inch under my sandbed and GHA never touched it and i had an unbelievable amount of GHA

I have all of my rockwork "propped up" on giant pvc couplings (wich I drilled big holes in to allow any burrowing creatures to be able to get in and through them) which are then covered by the sand bed which is deep in my particular case....so baically the rockworks sits on the pvc and if something burrows the sand away it doesnt affect the rock works stability and it helps to prevent dead spots caused by big rocks lying on the sand and not getting any movement beneath....word to the wise....make sure u totally secure your base rocks once and for all now and then u never have to worry about them down the line.... even if /when you rescape things higher up as you probably will someday in the future...if you get the base right now, you will neve have to worry about it again....no matter which inhabitants you decide to keep and no matter how you change things down the line.....it will pay for itself in man hours many times over to spend the time and effort the first time around....just my 2c.....

Here is my solution

100_1952.jpg

inwall.jpg

great job, what was that you used? share the wealth lol, I have alot of nice rocks but if iam able to do something like that I will start over

great job, what was that you used? share the wealth lol, I have alot of nice rocks but if iam able to do something like that I will start over

It is just a grid made out of acrylic. The top strips have 1/4" holes cut in them for the 1/4" rod to fit into. This way the rids can be placed where ever there is rock. I also have a couple different length rods depending on how the rock work fits. I have to confess, I didn't make it. Someone I know on another reef forum made it for me.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back