Upgrade prep

Zirky

Non-member
Here we go.a couple years ago I thought it would be fun to put a small fish tank in my aparment so not knowing there was a difference between nitrate and nitrite I did some homework bought a 72 gal bowfront and built a stand and matching coffee table. I really wanted an eel and clown trigger after all why would anyone want all the Agravation of keeping coral. Heh. Now I'm hooked. My plan is to upgrade to a 150 ish bowfront ideally custom rimless but I'll probably end up with a used 155 aquion. Today I put in the new sump and and trimmings the next step will be coralbox doser and I'm planning on making my own dosing containers, and a pair of maxspects. Then finally a new tank

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0273.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 608
Tomorrow I'll install the ato, probes and fuge light. So far the trigger sump is very loud

That looks wicked cool. I’m getting a kick out of the sunken ship lol. Not something you’d typically find in a Reef tank but it looks good. :)

Ye It was supposed to be an eel cave, I bought a model put it together then cut it apart. Gonna be hard not to put it in the new tank but for some reason it's an aptasia magnet and obviously a crud collector

This is what's done so far, please excuse the messy wires l have to pickup another raceway for the top wires and I want it excessable "I don't know how to spell that" for a few days.
So this s what I've learned so far
The maxisun led runs real cool that temp was taken afte 12 hours of run time, and could not be Easter to set the timer. as far as veg and bloom settings go I don't have a clue where it should be so I set them at 100%veg and30% bloom
Blue spa hose looks cool and fits nice over 1" pvc but does NOT SEAL I'll try a beveled edge on the pipe and a little silicone before swapping it out
The vertex media reactor as a huge improvement over the TLF and so far the $7 flow indicater works perfectly I'm also really happy with the quick connect in the back but the irrigation hose I used took a little fussin to get it to seal
The old vertex protein skimmer worked awesome when I tested it in my mixing station but now seems possessed and evil and overflows onto the floor and I hate it and it seems to hate me back and wish I bought a life reef. But I'll keep messin with it for now
My next step was gonna be a corral box dose, and I'm looking forward to making acrylic containers but it looks like a new skimmer will have to come first. I guess that's it for now.

I never thought I'd say this but ain't that beautiful fish poo.
After some fussin with the skimmer compartment and fuge heights the whole system is quieter, 2 small waterfalls instead of one large,my ato is working better and the skimmer from hell is working smooooth as silk. Either that or its luring me into a false sense of security. And when I the water level in the skimmer compartment doesn't change during feed stops.

Today's stupid questions. This is my overflow its right before my fuge, the in tank plumbing is standard aquion overflow. Are all those bubbles ok for my heaters? And there's bubbles on my fuge rock and chato is that ok? Is there a solution other than a new tank with a bean animal? Help please.

Good question. I might email the manufacturer since you are not suppose to run them dry... however it’s not dry and I would think when the bubbles get hot they would rise and it should be ok.

Does your return enter the sump below the first chambers water line or above?

Worse case scenario, put the heaters in the fuge in the next chamber after the baffles. The baffles will sort the bubbles out if you are concerned about frying your heaters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shortened the return pipe so now the bubbles aren't hitting the heaters. Right now it ends about 6" below the surface. Do you think it would help to cut it even shorter and add a 45 degree elbow right at the surfaced?

Mine is only 2” below the water. When I had it deeper it was not enough pressure to start my siphon. I think by adding the elbow you might create noise.

I would only go that short if it is rigid pipe or you have a bracket holding it in place. I don’t want it getting any kick back and spill on your floor if it is flexible pipe

It was flex spa hose but I swapped it out with rigid pvc. It's much better now that it's shorter (thank you) but still introducing bubbles into the refugium, for better or worse. Not sure. I may try sleeving a 2" pipe over the 1" to act as a half arst air water separator

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back