upgrading my 75 gallon to a 180 gallon

neptune

Non-member
I knew this day would come... my blue tang has outgrown his 75 gallon home.... I am looking to start a 180 gallon tank... (BTW my husband thinks it is totally reasonable that I just get rid of the fish! OH NO)

I was trying to buy used but it doesn't look good.... as none of the set ups I am finding meet my needs!
Here are my requirements:
* 6 foot long!
* Can fit blue tang / yellow tang / DFP / Humu Humu Picasso Trigger / butterfly fish / Angel fish / matted pair of blue mandarins
* Lighting - As this is not a reef what lighting would you recommend? I like LEDs and am hoping some of my xenia / leather corals / mushrooms will live?? Is this out of the question with a DFP??
* Stand - I found a J&B modern birch stand and canopy for a good price new. Thoughts on a birch stand?? I have always had oak stands... any input on the durability of Birch?? and this brand? As the lights are going to be LED in this system I was thinking a hood would work b/c no heat as I currently have with my MH and T5 lights.
* The biggest disappointment in my current system is that my sump is entirely too small and does not have space to easily clear the skimmer being emptied and/or removed for cleaning. I want a refugium in my sump for the mandarins space for an awesome skimmer where the water does not fluctuate and I need to have an ATO attached. Suggestions? I am not of the ability to make my own sump...
* I am going to try humblefish QT new service for my new tank additions. I know my existing fish are ich free due to learning Tank Transfer BUT would rather leave these fish to the more skilled humblefish.. I can keep a fish alive 15 years... if they just live the first 3 weeks!
* Advice / things to look out for??

Sad to be saying goodbye to my reef.. but I have fallen in love with the MIDNIGHT DOG FACE PUFFER and have always dreamed of the trigger fish... I have a smaller reef upstairs!

Getting Excited!!

Neptune

* If you were starting new what would be one piece of advice you would give on design / set up?

Definitely on the pricier side but we have two Red Sea Reefer tanks and love both of them. Our biggest tank is only 4ft but we have a lot of coral in it, a mix of LPS and SPS. We have two LED lights, Hydra 52's, and all the coral are growing really well.

You will have no problem with many soft coral especially Xenia in a tank with many aggressive fish. Actualy the coral with help reduce the waste from the fish.
Say goodbye to all the cleanup crew when you get a trigger and puffer though.

I know you state you don't feel comfortable with the ability to create your own sump but just wanted to offer a suggestion. The 75g you have currently if not drilled would make a perfect sump for your 180g plans. I just bought a sump kit from ebay for my 75g conversion. It was extremely easy to do and came out better than I thought. Just a good way to save a few bucks to reinvest in something else

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back