Uping Phyto Game!

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
I bought these wide mouth three gallon containers for my phyto. Working smarter not harder is the name of the game. Burning through a ton of phyto feeding pods. Hope this will make it easier and have plenty on hand. Beer in pic is to show size:).
Happy Reefing!

Attachments

• 310CD098-1EC8-4947-B8D1-85892D485012.jpeg
    310CD098-1EC8-4947-B8D1-85892D485012.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 93
Nice work! I started culturing Nannochloropsis, purely for feeding my reef. Any ideas about how much to feed? I’m at around 1 ml per gal, daily, of ~saturated culture. Is this reasonable for a medium stocked mixed reef?

I also don’t think my culture is quite that deep green, a bit more yellow. Using f/2 in seawater at ~1.020. Do I need more light?

Thanks No photo shop on that green color. Lol. That was just split with one gallon of nano to two gallons of fresh 1.019 saltwater. For dosing tank I think it’s 5ml per ten gallons every other day. Just watch your system and check your nutrients. You’ll find the balance. If your culture is yellow maybe it’s dying. My culture never has yellow unless it’s contaminated and dying off. Hope this helps

So how much f/2 do you use in your culture? And do you only use it when you split? I’m growing phyto and it does well but mine seems to get heavy and drop to the bottom of the container. I split and use the top part for the new culture but every once and a while the whole culture drops to the bottom and tbe water gets completely clear. I usually throw that out and start again.

It definitely keeps growing pretty fast, back to saturated in 5-7 days when I dilute by 2/3. I guess not too yellow, but yours looks deep, deep emerald green! Using 1 ml/L f/2, I just split it into 2/3 volume fresh media at that concentration about weekly. Some gunk on the bottom but mostly suspended even after 24 hrs in the fridge. Smells ok, like low tide but not gross. I guess it’s fine?
F0F4E40D-8D5B-4198-AD5B-376E5FBC522A.jpeg

So how much f/2 do you use in your culture? And do you only use it when you split? I’m growing phyto and it does well but mine seems to get heavy and drop to the bottom of the container. I split and use the top part for the new culture but every once and a while the whole culture drops to the bottom and tbe water gets completely clear. I usually throw that out and start again.
Sounds like you need more bubbles. As for f2 I use one cap full and harvest on average around ten days. I’m no expert but some strains of phyto are noticeably different in color.

It definitely keeps growing pretty fast, back to saturated in 5-7 days when I dilute by 2/3. I guess not too yellow, but yours looks deep, deep emerald green! Using 1 ml/L f/2, I just split it into 2/3 volume fresh media at that concentration about weekly. Some gunk on the bottom but mostly suspended even after 24 hrs in the fridge. Smells ok, like low tide but not gross. I guess it’s fine?
View attachment 179881
It looks good. No smell? Your good, use it.

Sounds like you need more bubbles. As for f2 I use one cap full and harvest on average around ten days. I’m no expert but some strains of phyto are noticeably different in color.
I’ll try to increase air flow and see

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back