using red/green lights on Radion XR15 Gen4?

Aconphoto

Non-member
Hi All,

Just upgraded to Reefer 250 with 2 x Radion XR15 G4 Pro lights (with diffusers). I have LPS and softies and the standard fish. Currently 1 piece of SPS (monti) and no current plans to go crazy with SPS.

I decided to use Ecotech's pre-programmed light schedule called LPS/Soft. I'm running this at 50% and with a 3 week acclimation period. My question is this...should I lower the red channel (I think is around 25-27%) and green channel lights (~20%) to avoid algae growth on the glass? Should I bring them down to 5% each??

Before my XR15s arrived, I was using a borrowed XR30 for about a 10 days and the glass needed cleaning every day as it got cloudy with algae. I'd like to avoid this while still operating in the "right/optimum" spectrum for the corals.

Thanks,
ACon

Typically what I found with the algae growth is it’s due to the excessive nutrients in the water compared to people blaming the red and green channels.

I don’t have a Radion but do agree that they are a little higher then I’d run, I have a reefbreeders light and run them both at 15% power.

Early on in the tank I was cleaning the glass everyday, but as it matured And I got phosphate and nitrates in check, I’m cleaning it once a week with a magnet scrubber.

Just some food for thought, maybe take another look at phosphates and nitrates. Those two things accompanied by light is what causes undesirable algae growth.

I'm not so sure, when I switched to radions I had the same issue, that film on the glass. Only thing that changed in the tank was the lighting

Nitrates = 0, phos = damn close to 0. skimmer and fuge running. Much less algae on class past 2 days with the new XR15s. I'm pretty sure the algae was due to the XR30 I had borrowed but had not changed anything in the setup of those lights. Just wondering if 25% reds is too much.

could try turning them down to like 15 for a month, then after that month turn them back to 25 and see if you notice a difference for the better or worse...

I'm running an XR15 Gen 4Pro with the SPS AB+ setting and having decent amounts of growth and coloration. Other than the usual brown film that grows on the glass, this is great. I got the same film on the glass with an AI Prime.

Last edited:
BiGGiePauls - did you modify the SPS AB+ program at all? Also, the results you mentioned, is that for SPS or also for LPS/softies?
Thanks!

Use the default program. 50 percent is way to high for lps. 35 percent max. If you have a sandbed 25 percent.is better At 35 + acans loose color. If you have mostly zoas you can do 35 percent. Use the default hours and set it and leave it alone.

Since many tanks are different, such as water depth, water coloration, a par meter is needed to tune LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back