UV Bulb awesome smell

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Is it just me or is it such a great, interesting smell when turning on a new UV bulb outside the UV casing.

I have no idea what the smell is, but I love it. That is all.

111ed7c663c2d15c5af29042104040bc.jpg

Anyone what the smell is? I find it so odd and interesting? I love it lol.

Anyone what the smell is? I find it so odd and interesting? I love it lol.
here is your answer: stole from the web,
Without details of your particular steriliser, I am making an educated guess that you are possibly smelling ozone and/or something that ozone has oxidised by reacting with it.
Most UV lamps cause formation of ozone as do small halogen lamps ( such as desk lamps), photocopiers and laser printers( from the corona wire). It all depends on the wavelength of light emitted from the lamps, around 185nm being maximal. The glass/quartz covering of the lamp can also enhance or retard the amount of ozone produced. Some lamps are designed to produce ozone as a disinfectant or as an ‘air cleaner’.
People can smell ozone as a metallic/chlorine/pungent/irritating odour to different degrees at anywhere between 0.005 parts per million and 0.02 ppm. Different people report smelling it differently. At 1.5 ppm it is quite uncomfortable and prolonged exposure is harmful.
Small amounts generated by lamps and various types of equipment are usually not harmful but if there is no ventilation, it can become much more concentrated. Ozone is highly reactive with other chemicals and its residue will return to stable oxygen molecules fairly rapidly.
It is unlikely that large amounts of ozone are being produced by your device if it is designed to be used safely in the home.
Without further details , it is difficult to be more specific.

20.4K views
View upvotes

Related questions (More answers below)
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-tell-if-a-UV-sterilizer-is-working

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back